Trailer Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hueyflyer

Reaction score
Hi Folks, just went out to wire a "wal-mart" 4 prong harness to my new(to me) 2005 KJ without success. Cannot tell what color wires are and do what with my VOM. See many posts and most direct one to vehicle specific harness's or to Mopar ones. Question then can a generic harness be wired to it and if so what are the wire colors for an '05? I have the Haynes manual but it only goes through '04 and the wiring diagarms do not match what I see when I pull a tail light lens off. One link took me to the etrailer.com site and these wire colors do not either! Help?

Thanks!

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey

Amarony just put together a good article on the how-to board. I dont know of anyone who has attempted a generic installation, but start with etrailer.com to find out whats availbale for the 05.... I'm about 99% sure that the wiring for the trailer has not changed from 02-05.

I'd shy away from using generic stuff, since the vehcile specific stuff is so good, inexpensive, and easy to install. My two cents, for what it's worth :)

Here's another thread

-Blu

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiring Harness

I'd stay away from anything that isn't make/model compatible. If you were to do a lot of splicing back there I'd be worried about short issues etc in not only your trailer lights but also you Libby's lights. If you don't want to go online, I'd try to hit an autoparts store. Most seem to carry Hoppy brand wiring harnesses for various makes and models. The huge advantage to using one of those is they are just plug n play. No splicing, no removal of any body trim either. Just pop the rear lights to plug in.

I can pull the service manual later to give you the wiring colors if you wish but I would really advise against a manual wiring job for a generic harness.

Latest posts

Members online