trailer hitch bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question

are the OEM trailer hitch bolts fully threaded? the only M12 x 1.75 x 50mm bolts I find are threaded 3/4 at best.

my dad forgot to give me the bolts with the hitch when I got it this week. LOL.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Yes,I believe so. Do yourself a favor and get a tap to chase the threads with.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question

are the OEM trailer hitch bolts fully threaded? the only M12 x 1.75 x 50mm bolts I find are threaded 3/4 at best.

my dad forgot to give me the bolts with the hitch when I got it this week. LOL.

Yes, they are fully threaded. I believe you'd run out of thread before the bolt was fully tightened as you only have the cone washer and about 3/16" of frame thickness to go through. Guess you could test it out and see what happens. Me, I want the weldnut to grab all the threads it can vs. just a couple... :freak3:

I found mine at a shop that installs truck caps and hitches. They sold the bolt and cone washer to me for $1 each for a total of $6 - couldn't beat it. Also try RV and camper stores - they use these types of bolts all the time.

Bob

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea...Ace HArdware, HD, and AAP only had 3/4 thread. Ill hit up the trailer stores Monday. I called the dealership and they can only get them to me with the hitch.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks!

i left messages for both Jeep Dealers...unfortunately I have had no response yet. this is typical of their parts departments imo. at least the two local ones for me.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep called. $3.50 per bolt. uhhhh....
U-Haul wants $25.00 for the "kit" (i.e. 6 bolts.) LOL

holy cow.

fastenal to the rescue. $5.60 for 6 bolts. grade 10.9 and SS.

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fastenal part #?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep called. $3.50 per bolt. uhhhh....
U-Haul wants $25.00 for the "kit" (i.e. 6 bolts.) LOL

holy cow.

fastenal to the rescue. $5.60 for 6 bolts. grade 10.9 and SS.
I ha

Forgot all about Fastenal. And I have a couple of outlets near me.

Oh yeah...Remember to get the cone washers! They'll keep those bolts tight and torqued to spec. If you don't put them on...:Bye:

Bob

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes,I believe so. Do yourself a favor and get a tap to chase the threads with.

this must be important! LOL. I sprayed the threads with pb blaster last night. just went out a few minutes ago and the bolts wont even begin to thread.

:shrug:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is.
also hit the threads with one of those copper pipe cleaner brushes.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
started cleaning threads to install hitch today. firs two on passenger side were a breeze. the one closest to the front....my tap wont fit. it is hitting the tail pipe.

what do you all use for this?

Im using the tap with the T handle....it wont fit. almost looks like if i had an adapter to snap it into a regular ratchet....it may fit....

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have to do any tapping on my 07. I did however have trouble threading them with the bolt, lots of debris in there. I just cleaned them out real well with some cleaner and a pipe brush deal. Pushed it in and twisted, bolts went in easy after that.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after several hours cleaning all the threads so there would be no issues with installing the hitch.....the **** hitch isnt fitting!

I dont think its for a KJ. the mounting surface will only hit 2 out of the 3 bolt holes per side...if and only if I cut about 2" off of the rear bumper.

so i have wasted time and money on this. hitch, paint, labor...blah blah blah.

i cant find a PN on the hitch to check and see what it fits.

Geep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man that stinks. thanks for finding the bolt sizes

Last edited:

Liberty02sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that....Here's a tip for pulling the exhaust out of your way..Use ratchet straps and don't get too crazy with them and bend the pipe. Just tighten them down enough to pull the pipe enough to get your socket in there.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beat my M12x1.75 tap into a deep well 5/16 socket and then filled the socket with JB weld using a plastic syringe - got most of the tapping done without the tap slipping in the socket but under enough torque it will slip, or could use a more appropriate socket to fit the stud of the tap but I used what I had on hand :p and more importantly, what I had on hand that was "expendable" as a permanent tool

securing the tap into a socket allows you to get an extension on it for hard to reach areas - I also cut the ratchet end off a 1/4" extension and ground some rough 4 corner flats into it for use with the T-handle when a ratchet just wouldn't do, but for the most part a palm ratchet works just as well as the T-handle