TPMS Re-learn needed - I think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed my winter tires and rims, and had a set of tpms sensors installed as well.

I had them sitting in my garage until the snow flew yesterday, and then bolted them up this morning.

The problem is I am now getting a check engine light (NOT a tpms light), along with a warning in the EVIC to "Check TPM System"

The tire pressures are showing up on the dash, so the sensors are working, however, they are out of order. For instance, on the dash it shows my front right with 34 pounds, and my left rear with 31, but using a manual gauge shows this is actually wrong. The left rear is really 34, and the front right is 31, so they are getting the proper information, just showing it in the wrong order.

Is there a way to re-set my TPMS system and hopefully correct this? Or so I need a special tool from chrysler?

Obviously, I want to get rid of the CEL, and fix the order in my EVIC so I know what pressures are where.

On a side note, every time the CEL comes on, the auto start stops working which is a royal PITA. I have to book an appointment, take it in, get a ride home, wait for them to clear the codes, get a ride back, all just so I can turn off a little light on the dash. Thank crap for warranty, but still, what a waste of my time.

Thanks for the assistance!

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow your dealer ***** lol j/k

But the one near me has drive in bays with service advisors, who can hook up their scanner and do minor things like reset codes, program keys etc, no appointment needed.

But 05+ there is no re-learn in their computer, they can do a reset, but the TPMS light will still be on, each sensor is automatically learned after driving a couple miles over (I believe) 20mph.

Have you tried going around the block since you swapped them?

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've easily put on 50miles to give them plenty of time.

Like I said, the TPMS light is off, the CEL is on. However, the EVIC has a check tpms message.

SETexasLibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advance Auto parts or Autozone will check it for free, and they can also clear it, Takes 15mins,

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, unfortunately those don't exist in my neck of the woods (Western Canada).

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: The CEL went out today, but the "Check TPMS" message remains in the EVIC.

Not sure what is going on here...any ideas?

The tire pressures are still showing up accurately on the EVIC, but still out of the proper order on-screen.

superliberty

Reaction score
UPDATE: The CEL went out today, but the "Check TPMS" message remains in the EVIC.

Not sure what is going on here...any ideas?

The tire pressures are still showing up accurately on the EVIC, but still out of the proper order on-screen.

Adonis I bought this at walmart two years ago for $99. It is the Equus 3160 code reader. great tool to have.

I would say one of your TPMS sensor has failed. Did you disconnect the battery for a few hours?

Attachments

• 44228204_640.jpg
    44228204_640.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 4

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, have not disconnected the battery. Does that typically reset the codes or something?

Does that code reader for the KK?

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any OBD2 code read should work, you can pick them up dirt cheap on ebay.

Does the key on, key off, key on, key off, key on, still work on the KK's?

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Had her in the dealership for an oil change the other day, and had them look at it. Went to pick it up, and they told me they have a new TPSM control module on order, and will need to install it once it arrives. No other explanation other than that, so not sure what is up. Why would putting new TPMS sensors in require and entirely new control module? Was there something updated between 08 and present with the TPM system?