TPM Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will try to explain this in detail so I might get an answer as it is a mystery to me.

I switched wheels and tires (all 5 changed) off an 07 KJ to my 05 KJ. (OEM wheels and tires with the working TPM's attached) In the process of checking/airing up the tires I broke one of the valve stems (dammit) so I hung the tire with the busted stem and no air in it on the back. Started the jeep and no TPM warning or light or anything. This was on a sunday so the spare was just hanging on the back all day with no air and no TPS warnings. (??) As far as I know the system was working before I switched tires/rims.

I needed to get air in the spare so I was going to just take a TPM off one of the wheels I just took off, but didn't as I figured the batteries are getting old but went to the dealer the next day and got a new TPM for an 05 KJ ($54 bucks).......I installed it and aired up the tire.

So it is a mystery to me why the TPM system didn't go nuts. Pretty sure there was 2 different TPM systems used between 05 and 07 and my 05 has the basic one and not sure what one was in the 07 that the wheels/tires came off of. The only thing I can think of is that the ser # of the new TPM's need to be programmed to the BCM or something.......but it has been a couple of weeks now and no TPM lights or dings and I am pretty sure I am going to leave it alone as I check my tire pressure regularly anyway. But why didn't the system go nuts on me??

Thoughts?

Dave

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be way off base on this one but didn't Chrysler change systems for the '07s and later?

IIRC, the earlier system used a central TPMS radio that monitored all 5 wheels from a radio receiver in the Jeep while the later system used individual receivers at each wheel. So the two systems don't talk to each wheel the same way.

Again, I may be thinking of the KK system vs the KJ so someone please correct me.

Hopefully you'll get some direction from others as well, Dave.

Bob

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be way off base on this one but didn't Chrysler change systems for the '07s and later?

IIRC, the earlier system used a central TPMS radio that monitored all 5 wheels from a radio receiver in the Jeep while the later system used individual receivers at each wheel. So the two systems don't talk to each wheel the same way.

Again, I may be thinking of the KK system vs the KJ so someone please correct me.

Hopefully you'll get some direction from others as well, Dave.

Bob

Yeah, pretty sure you are right. But the system should have gone off if all of a sudden it couldn't read any of the 07 sensors or the totally flat spare.

But now I got 4... 07 sensors and 1 ...05 sensor.......so anyway I am confused as to why the system didn't chime and light up. Not that I want it to either but just curious as to why. I am also not going to buy 4 more 05 sensors at $54 apiece and mess with it. (that's a lot of beer money....haha)

Also when I was at the dealer I forgot to ask the parts guy if the 05 sensors had a different part # than the 07 sensors. That would have given me a clue maybe?

Dave

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Bob is correct on this my 07 is alot of KK but 05 body style so no signal good or bad? What happens if you roll the old wheels next to your KJ and maybe lower the air in one? Did the system work before you changed wheels? I d/c those things a long time ago when I changed my tire size hate them

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Bob is correct on this my 07 is alot of KK but 05 body style so no signal good or bad? What happens if you roll the old wheels next to your KJ and maybe lower the air in one? Did the system work before you changed wheels? I d/c those things a long time ago when I changed my tire size hate them

Good idea. I will try that. As far as I know the system worked previously.

It's ok though if it doesn't work now as far as I am concerned, just wondering why it didn't go off when I had the spare hanging off the back with no air in it? Maybe it is broke.......

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea. I will try that. As far as I know the system worked previously.

It's ok though if it doesn't work now as far as I am concerned, just wondering why it didn't go off when I had the spare hanging off the back with no air in it? Maybe it is broke.......

Dave
You may have the 4 sensor system then.

Seeing we're on the the topic of TPMS, can the factory pressure monitor sensors be reprogrammed to turn off any alarms/idiot lights for lower air pressures for when you air down for off roading?
Not on a KJ.Presently the only Jeep that can be done is the JK using the AEV procal(will not work on a KJ).AEV spent alot of $$$ to hack Chryslers codes.