towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Over 100 miles on the interstate between 60-70mph the entire time ( down to 45 on some hills but not many)
Some cooling issues with the ac on but no other problems.

Yes I have trailer brakes on BOTH axles. Used about 7.5 gallons of gas on the trip.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a hair more wieght on the toungue than it "should" but the liberty tows alot better that way, ive had alot of things behind this and with the short wheelbase to little on the tongue creates alot of sway.

It looks worst than it is becuase I had the drop slug in becuase I dont like using the extended slug when I haul this much wieght, and the regular slug wont clear the spare if its flipped over.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 600lbs of quickrete in the back of my KJ a month back, didn't feel like it was affecting the handling at all and that impressed me. (10 60lb bags, plus three kids, and some other shopping)

Would load helpers, air bags on the back, help much in this regard? I can see in the picture that the rear end is down and the front is up a bit on yours with that trailer due to the distance between the tires and the fender.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, using air bags will stop the sag but it will not put weight back on the front axle. If you have high loads on the hitch you need to get a load distribution setup to get weight back on the front axle.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys thanks for the info, didn't mean to hijack but was curious about these load helper air bags available for the Liberty.

I don't tow anything near that weight usually, but every now and then i tow a trailer and its nice to plan ahead.

offroadohio - What brake controller do you have?

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just some cheapo I bought for $20. I'm not sure if there is a plug n play controller kit out there or not ( i dont think so) I hard wired my controller in.

I am also running a trans temp guage.

I called the dealership today to order the manual fan/ electric fan combo for towing application and I was told they have been discontinued.

Anyone have any idea where I can find one?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just some cheapo I bought for $20. I'm not sure if there is a plug n play controller kit out there or not ( i dont think so) I hard wired my controller in.

I am also running a trans temp guage.

I called the dealership today to order the manual fan/ electric fan combo for towing application and I was told they have been discontinued.

Anyone have any idea where I can find one?

Junk yard???

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Junk yard???

Good luck!! At least around here to find a KJ in the yard is a miracle, and then its usually due to a front end collision. When i needed front end parts after hitting that deer the body shop couldn't find any used front parts because all the ones he could find were totaled from a head on collision.

But maybe it's different where you live.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Jeep pulling a Jeep.. LOL

Heck I do that a few times a year,
but my YJ weighs less than a Cherokee.
You must be registered for see images attach

Did you have any idea "offroadohio" what your total trailer weighed? My trailer/Jeep combination weighs in at about the limit for a gas powered automatic transmission Libby at five thousand pounds. I use a load leveling hitch to minimize fishtailing and only one of my trailer axles has electric brakes. Since I'm at the limit of my Libby I drive about 55 MPH with the O/D off. Boy does my gas milage suck.

I'm interested in learning more about your ****** temp gauge. Does your Libby have a Mpoar trailer package? (i.e.: ****** cooler)

There are a few articles on how to wire up a brake controller in a Libby. Just search the KJ or LOST forums.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you got about 13mpg. That's not bad considering how much weight you were pulling.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck I do that a few times a year,
but my YJ weighs less than a Cherokee.
You must be registered for see images attach

Did you have any idea "offroadohio" what your total trailer weighed? My trailer/Jeep combination weighs in at about the limit for a gas powered automatic transmission Libby at five thousand pounds. I use a load leveling hitch to minimize fishtailing and only one of my trailer axles has electric brakes. Since I'm at the limit of my Libby I drive about 55 MPH with the O/D off. Boy does my gas milage suck.

I'm interested in learning more about your ****** temp gauge. Does your Libby have a Mpoar trailer package? (i.e.: ****** cooler)

There are a few articles on how to wire up a brake controller in a Libby. Just search the KJ or LOST forums.

No I do not have the tow pacakge but ALL 07's came with a trans cooler.

The temp guage is just an off the shelf autozone guage that is put into the line, I put it on the "cold" side of the cooler.

The cherokee is said to have a 3800pound curb wight, my trailer wieghs 1200

so I figure I was right at 5k. I do not have any swaying issues when I tow.

I drug my trail rig cherokee that wieghts 4500 on a 2wheel tow dolley, with od ON 70+mph all over ohio, ky,and wv this year. MY trans temp shows around 185 degrees the entire time. I'm just under 60k on the odometer now and my trans fluid still looks fine. I'm headign to NC for a week next friday and will be changing the fluid for the first time when I return,.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About those two wheel tow dollys. Are they safe? I tried towing a KJ with a WJ on a rented U-haul dolly and could barely stop because they did not come with brakes. Also, something was always making this sound like rubber rubbing on rubber.

After I saw tread separating from one of the dolly's tires I didn't feel that it was safe and returned it after less than 5 miles of driving.