towing with a CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panicrob

Reaction score
how's it going all? i have a 2006 CRD and want to start towing a boat i just bought. the trailer is a dual axle tandem trailer but does not have brakes.

the boat is a 20' and weighs 1890lbs without the trailer so i figure about 2400-2500lbswith the trailer.

question 1: what have you noticed with the towing power of these trucks? can they handle it?

any suggestions from out there would be great.

thanks

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't towed with mine but others that have have towed far more the you are considering. The tow capacity is officially 5000 but that is dictated more by safety concerns than capability. Towing past 3K is probably a little more risky without brakes.

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you hit the hills, back off the throttle and do 35 if you have to. Otherwise, it WILL overheat! I watched mine very closely. Don't over-rev it. Also, if you are going DOWN a hill, use your speed control. It isn't just for "cruise". It actually finds the optimum shift points in the ****** and will apply engine braking for you to maintain speed. SWEEEEEEET!

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow with mine all the time, my boat is a bit over 2000 lbs on the trailer. Tow a two horse loaded trailer with two 1200 lb horses and gear for trail riding. Tow trailers in the fields and for firewood season.
Tows great.
I'd get brakes on your trailer and a brake controller to be safe, otherwise it will pull at any speed you want, I run in OD mostly as the is no restriction in the owners manual about it like many rigs, 34,000 and going strong.
Mine has never overheated even pulling over the passes in the Cascade Mts in the summer.
By the way there is more than one V-8 pickup that I've outpulled in the mountains. Difference in mpg is unbelievable under the same conditions.

Lewii

Reaction score
I have towed my boat with mine, it is similar in size to yours. The Jeep handles the load fine power wise, but I wish I had brakes on the trailer. The Liberty's brakes are the one feature I find deficient anyway, and when pulling a trailer, well, I'm just glad I decided to keep the F-250 powerstroke around. :)

Latest posts

Members online