Towing capacity with a MANUAL transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HuJass

Reaction score
Just wondering what the towing capacity of an '03 Lib is with the V-6 and manual trans. I'm getting conflicting numbers.
I've also noticed (on Jeep.com) that you CANNOT get a manual trans Lib with the towing package.

What are the differences between a Lib with the towing package and without?

What is the weak link in the manual trans Libs that prevents it from towing near what the auto tows?

Can a manual trans Lib be upgraded to tow more? What has to be done?

HuJass

Reaction score
We're not going to buy something else.

Does an aftermarket company make a heavier duty clutch for the vehicle?

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SRotblat said:
problem? if you mean tow more than 3500...buy something else.

Basically, sad but true. There are very few manual transmission vehicles that are intended for towing, just about everything is automatic these days.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
SRotblat said:
problem? if you mean tow more than 3500...buy something else.

Basically, sad but true. There are very few manual transmission vehicles that are intended for towing, just about everything is automatic these days.

Except for semis that do nothing but tow. Im not sure if anyone makes a heavy duty clutch or not HuJass. Ive never looked into that since I do not have a 5speed. I have heard that the case the ****** is in cannot handle the stress, Im not to sure on that one. Maybe you could call a dealership and see what they have to say? Usually they do not have a clue about anything, so they may or may not know anything helpful.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my 06 renny with the 6 speed and the towing package. I'm not looking to tow anything more than a small trailer lightly loaded or a bike rack.

Latest posts

Members online