Towing a tiny foldable trailer - wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJWhite

Reaction score
I have an 02 limited and I’m trying to figure out a 4 flat wiring harness. I know there are the ones that clip into the tail lights. My question is, there is an electrical clip right under the left side of the bumper. It looks like the set-up for a wrangler. I bought the Hopkins 42615 but the electrical clips don’t fit. Can anyone tell me if I’m even on the right track? Is this clip even for towing? I’ve attached a picture of the connections. I’m new to towing, thanks for the help!

Attachments

• C6452C0B-55AC-4600-892C-780DCA931A1E.jpeg
    C6452C0B-55AC-4600-892C-780DCA931A1E.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 16

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AJWHITE -

As I recall with my 04, there was a harness that I purchased aftermarket. It required popping the tail lites out and making the harness connections there ( on each side, so the turn signal would work on the trailer). It was all plug and play. Worked well til some one got the connector wet on the 4 pin and it all corroded up. Then started blowing fuses for brake lites at random.

AJWhite

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I think I might not have asked the question correctly. I know what e-trailer has listed for the kJ. But what I’m asking is did someone already splice something in or is the clip under the bumper in the photo for something totally unrelated to towing. I bought that incorrect harness thinking that maybe the previous owner used a wrangler kit. Does anyone else have this Electrical connection spot under their bumper?

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve not crawled under yet, but coffee has me thinking, from your picture, that there are but 2 wires. Left side mounted should be the license tag lite.

AJWhite

Reaction score
I’ve not crawled under yet, but coffee has me thinking, from your picture, that there are but 2 wires. Left side mounted should be the license tag lite.

I think you’re right!

I’m going to pull off that panel and see if it has factory towing or not and then order the correct stuff. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online