Towing a KK with Tow Dolly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relocating and going to tow my 2010 Liberty Automatic 2WD with a tow dolly back up north (front wheels on dolly). Read the owners manual but am still confused. Do I have to drop the driveshaft or can I leave it in with the automatic ****** in neutral?
If I take the driveshaft out will I lose ****** fluid during the trip? :pshyco:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only towed front wheel drive with a dolly. So I can't tell you how. I can tell you I'd do what they manual says.

ivantate

Reaction score
When they saw neutral for towing they mean the transfer box. Which you dont have on a 2wd.

Can you tow it with the back wheels on the dolly. The steering might need to have straps on it as the lock may not be central.

You will have a lower centre of gravity this way around too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only towed front wheel drive with a dolly. So I can't tell you how. I can tell you I'd do what they manual says.

The manual says to remove the drive shaft and don't tow over 15 to 30 miles!
My dilema is I am towing for 1200 miles and still don't know if ****** fluid will leak out the tail of the ****** without the driveshaft.
Thought about rear wheels on tow dolly but will have to tie down the steering wheel which is kind of giving me that uncomfortable feeling!

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans fluid shouldn't leak. It should be a u joint to disconnect. But I have 4 wheel drive. Can u look online for info ?.
Edit - I'd think all rear wheel drives have a rear u joint. So that's what I'd do.

Last edited:

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans fluid shouldn't leak. It should be a u joint to disconnect. But I have 4 wheel drive. Can u look online for info ?.
Edit - I'd think all rear wheel drives have a rear u joint. So that's what I'd do.

When you remove the driveshaft out of the ****** the splined yoke comes out of the ******. There is a seal that goes around the splined yoke to prevent the fluid from coming out. Maybe I am looking at this wrong!

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you take the driveshaft apart at the u-joint the yoke stays in the transmission

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, if you completely remove the driveshaft, you will leak out a good amount of trans fluid being the car will be raised in the front on the tow dolly. What you need to do is disconnect the rear u-joint from the yoke, and strap it up and out of the way. Hanging it from the upper control arm is an option. Be sure to have it so the driveshaft is getting pulled forward so that it won't slip out of the transmission. Pole-vaulting a car is not a good thing to do.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you remove the driveshaft out of the ****** the splined yoke comes out of the ******. There is a seal that goes around the splined yoke to prevent the fluid from coming out. Maybe I am looking at this wrong!

Nope I just mean take the rear u joint out by rear axle. Wire up the drive shaft and go.
But I have only done this with a 4x4 with a bad front axle u joint.
But I have changed u joints and never lost Trans fluid.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input and knowledge.
I think my best bet is to completely remove the driveshaft from the yoke and differential then strap the yoke in place so it cannot bump out.
Better safe than sorry..

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes since its a 2 wheeler , unbolt the drive shaft at the rear, fasten the rear of the driveshaft up to the body really well , so it can't drop down, nor slide back out then boogie on up the road ! Check it over good at every stop