Towing a Jeep Liberty with a Tow Dolly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gespo04

Reaction score
Hi there, I own a 2003 Jeep Liberty with the 3.7L V6, a 5 Speed Manual, and Part-Time 4WD (2Hi, 4Hi, N, 4Lo). I have read my user manual, and these vehicles are safe to flat tow, however when it comes to Dolly towing them with the front wheels up, it says:

"Towing — 4WD Models CAUTION!
Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a
front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational
towing."

Does this only apply to full-time 4WD systems? If I have a part-time 4WD system, is it still okay to tow with the front wheels lifted? Will I need to disconnect my driveshaft in order to not damage my transfer case? How is it possible for a car to be okay with flat towing but not dolly towing anyway?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I think you'd be ok if you disconnected the driveshaft.

I guess towing with the driveshaft installed and front wheels on a dolly the rear driveshaft would be spinning sprockets and chain which would add wear to the chain rollers, pins, and gear teeth creating more slop and backlash and eventual internal mayhem which wouldn't be noticed in the RV.