Towing a car with the Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usna2k

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here. I'm looking at buying a 2005 Limited later in the year, and if I do I will need to tow my car (GVW ~4400 lbs) behind it from Florida to Rhode Island.

I plan on getting the auto transmission and trailer tow group, but my main question is how will it perform hauling my car that far? (or possibly farther, if the Navy tells me to go farther hehe)

I have driven SUV's before, but don't have any towing experience, and just want to make sure I'm getting a vehicle that is capable of doing it well, and doing it safely.

Thanks in advance!

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed my vw gti from central PA to englishtown, nj on a Uhaul trailer this past summer. It was only about 200-250 miles, but there are some steeper sections of road way in the eastern part of PA. The KJ was great, you knew there was alomost 5k behind the vehicle but it was in control the whole time. I was able to maintain a pretty constant 80mph. My KJ didnt come with the tow package (or off road package) so I dont have the heavy duty clutch fan, all I added was a Draw-Tite hitch and wiring. For a longer trip your planning I would certainly make sure you have adiquate cooling for the engine and trans and a well balanced trailer. My Uhaul was touge heavy but I couldnt do much about it with how they require you to position the car on the ramps.

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have much car towing experience but I do have a class A license with all endorsements including doubles, triples, and hazmat tankers. Which doesn't mean squat without experience, but I do know a bit about going down the road trying to control 85,000 pounds of triaxle dump truck and gravel. Remember that number the next time you are near one. Depending on the car you are towing you will probably be very close in the weight relationship between truck and trailer if not heavier at the trailer. I am sure the Lib is both strong and powerful enough but you would most likely be at the limits of its capabilities. As long as you are careful and your trailer is equipped with brakes in good working order you shouldn't have any problems. However, with this combination you are leaving very little room for error, such as a simple forced lane change. Because of the weight relationship even in the best circumstances you will have to use caution to stay in control of the load. Just recently I towed my Uncle's 1/2 ton pick-up with my 1/2 ton on a trailer that weighted around 1800 pounds which made approx. 7000 pounds behind me without trailer brakes. Yes, it was not the safest situation but the trip was only 12 miles, still I was fortunate to have made it. Going down the road I felt comfortable even while braking, but I was careful to plan far ahead as I do in the dump truck and I would not recommend doing this to anyone that I care about.
To summarize, you may be just fine with your intentions, it's not a question of power or the strength of the Lib, its a matter of you having the skills and awareness to control your load. A heavier tow vehicle may offer you less fatigue and more peace of mind, hence a more enjoyable trip.
Good luck, Chadwick

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have towed some, but not yet with my KJ as I need to add the tow package. My last tow was from Denver to San Diego, over the Rockies. As said above, give yourself plenty of room in front of you and watch your speed. Especially watch your speed going down hills as the trailer can start to push. Also make sure that the tongue is not too heavy. Your KJ should look flat when hooked up to the trailer (ie. it's nose is not in the air). If your nose is in the air, then in a hard break, the trailer would push down on your rear wheels too much and take the pressure off of your front wheels. Rather dangerous. eek2.gif

I personally would love to have a small camping trailer. I found a Jayco that is up to 3500 lbs. loaded. But my wife has never been camping and doesn't like the idea... even in a trailer! headshake.gif Women...

http://www.jayco.com/html/catalog/product.php?prod_id=73

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that is a nice trailer you have listed. Perfect size for two people.

I have a medium sized pop-up that weights about 1800-2000lbs. The KJ tows it fine even at 7500 feet up mountain grades. However, you can feel it pushing you around a little when coming to a stop or especially going down hill. If I where to tow anything much heavier on a regular basis I would want brakes on the trailer

Latest posts

Members online