Towing a 16ft. camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody tow a camper with thier KJ? I'm thinking of buying a 16ft camper and wonder with the short wheelbase how the liberty will handle,My KJ is a 04 with a 5 speed that can tow 3500 lbs and the trailer is 2300lbs unloaded and 3100 loaded.

I added the the 7 pin mopar trailer wiring and also an electric brake controller but have yet to see a liberty towing a trailer..

Doc

Reaction score
Tow

I tow an 18' deck boat that exceeds what you are planing on towing and have had no trouble what so ever. The breaks you have added to the camper will be a plus! Just remember you are towing something so no tail gating, fast cornering, and do not tow in overdrive.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will do just fine. May get kinda slow on the hills if you do not push it but it will do just fine. If you will be towing at high speeds(over 65), it may be a good idea to get a anti-sway setup.. O:)

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled this pig from Cali to Moab then to Grand Canyon and back to Cali a couple years ago. The hills were killer but it made it and survived. Loaded it was Real heavy, not sure how much though.
In Moab CG.
You must be registered for see images

Grand Canyon CG w/ snow falling.
You must be registered for see images

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled a loaded (5 stock tires/wheels, skids, 3-ton floor jack) 1500lb camper through the Rocky Mountains where top speed going up the high passes was 35 MPH. Maxed effort and no ****** cooler and with the 245/75 MTRs on. Good thing it was cold out.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guy's,I think I will end up buying a leftover camper,Can't get enough of the outdoors and the camper w/heat will extend our season.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe you all try to tow with those tires on the libby. I couldnt imagine how much that slows you down.. ](*,)

klegesdal

Reaction score
I pulled my 24ft camper a couple times...it wasn't too bad (short distance). The only problem I saw was that the rear suspension would bottom out very easily... I even used a load leveling hitch...and the tounge weight was in check... It just seems that the stock Libby doesn't have enough height distance in the back... I think it may have been cut down by an inch or so because of some roll over safety issues...

Good luck...