Torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudvein

Reaction score
Hey all!
I've got a 03 limited 3.7 4 spd auto 4x4. I find that since the super cold snap that the converter won't lock up until 62 mph. I don't remember it ever doing this until it got below 0 degrees. It's been in the 40's the past couple days and it's still doing it. Anybody else have his problem? Should I look for a rebuilt trans soon? Any help or experience is appreciated - thanks in advance Jeep lovers

Mudvein
PS the trans pan was replaced and trans flushed in the last year at dealer, and is still full

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine locks up around 55-60. I think you're good. Depends on your foot, usually. The computer adjusts how soon it shifts and locks. If you're concerned, get your CVI numbers checked at a trans shop to see if anything is out of spec.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A cold computerized transmission also could decide for itself:
I'm not switching at my normal speed until my fluid is well warmed up! :icon_lol:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what is this and what do you look/listen for?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Basically you listen for the rps to drop as it shifts from 3 to 4th (Overdrive)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh. I always turn OD off as soon as I put it in drive. No wonder I never could tell. :icon_lol:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically you listen for the rps to drop as it shifts from 3 to 4th (Overdrive)

Actually it's an RPM drop after 4th. You should notice your jeep at about 2,000-2,100 or so RPMs around 50-55, then at about 60-65 it should drop to about 1,800 or so, maybe a little less. I've noticed it acts almost as a VERY steep fifth gear.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere years ago (wish I could recall where!) that around 62 was when it was supposed to lock up. I kid you not. Since reading that, I often will try to notice when it happens on my 2002. It is usually right around there. So, I think yours is behaving as designed.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The real issue is that Chrysler has only one overdrive when they should have two overdrives. This is why I want the 545RFE.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the torque converter HATES locing up when it is cold.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cold computerized transmission also could decide for itself:
I'm not switching at my normal speed until my fluid is well warmed up! :icon_lol:

This is exactly what happens, especially with the RFE (if you have it). Fluid has to be a certain temp, until then (at least with the RFE's) it locks out OD.

Mudvein

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input, I feel much better. Also, mine runs 2000 rpm at 60mph and 2500 at 70 or so, does that sound about right?

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also fluid that i on it way out will play tric with the torque converter the viscoity goes down and mae it eem lie it i lipping and can damage the olenoid... o maybe it i time for a fluid change.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input, I feel much better. Also, mine runs 2000 rpm at 60mph and 2500 at 70 or so, does that sound about right?

I feel like I'm at about 1,900 and 2,200, respectively. But again, I'm sure it can differ somehow.

Latest posts

Members online