Top ****** bolts not quite lined up HELP PLEASE!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberty06SK

Reaction score
So i got a used 05 ****** for my 06 liberty, i got it up on the dowels and the bolts right below the dowels in (but loosend off now). I have the torque converter attached to flywheel. But when i go to put in top bolts seems like there not quite lined up. Will get a few threads then tighten right up. I look into hole and looks a little off can see threads but looks off a bit. I dont want to strip them or crack something. Has anyone else ran into this?? Im about at wits end. Thanks i advance

Ive searched threads and cant find anything. Hopefully someone can help

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i got a used 05 ****** for my 06 liberty, i got it up on the dowels and the bolts right below the dowels in (but loosend off now). I have the torque converter attached to flywheel. But when i go to put in top bolts seems like there not quite lined up. Will get a few threads then tighten right up. I look into hole and looks a little off can see threads but looks off a bit. I dont want to strip them or crack something. Has anyone else ran into this?? Im about at wits end. Thanks i advance

Ive searched threads and cant find anything. Hopefully someone can help

Is the housing flush? If the bell housing is cocked a bit it'll do that. Can you get a screwdriver or drift in there and see if you can message it into alignment?

Liberty06SK

Reaction score
Is the housing flush? If the bell housing is cocked a bit it'll do that. Can you get a screwdriver or drift in there and see if you can message it into alignment?

K ill try that. It looks flush but maybe not 100%. Just got off the phone with a car guy i work with and he said to do converter bolts last, so backong them off forst and makong sure thats still all good there.

Thanks

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took a little bit to get my new trans lined up - I worked the ****** jack while my husband worked the trans on the dowels. Up, down, side to side until it was flush.

And yes, converter bolts last.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trans bolted right on once i get it on the dowels. The transfer case gave me a hell of a time. I agree with your buddy torque converter should be done once trans is in. Try getting a jack towards the back of it to change the angle a bit. If you have all other bolts torqued loosen them up a bit to so it has space to move around.

Liberty06SK

Reaction score
K thanks guys, i dropped ****** again and chased top bolt holes all good. And double check the torque converter was still seated. Now to raise it back up. Ya i figured if it was on dowels it wouldve been good especially since i had the one right next to dowels in as well. The way it looked like it had to move (clockwise if looking from transfer case) i couldnt see how it would since dowels were in but here next attempt. Thanks again nice to hear there is light at end of tunnel even if i cant see it yet :)

Last edited:

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got great advice, glad it's working out. Replacing a transmission at home is...... daunting, frustrating, crazy,stupid,yet rewarding, awesome, great, prideful,....

Good luck with the rest of the job
Neighbour Bert

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.