Took the wife for a test drive yesterday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flatfoot

Reaction score
Hello to all:
Please bear with me, as I tend to ramble a bit. O:)
Yesterday, I took the wife for a test drive of a jeep liberty. We are looking to replace her current vehicle and I wanted to see if I could convince the wife that this is the one.
This would be her primary car, so final decision would be hers.
She has a problem with a lot of vehicles as her height is only five foot nothing...
Her other choices came down to a rav4, mazda 5, and some other kia or hyundai, that I refuse to even look at. LOL
Well we went to a dealer, and in a showroom they had a liberty sport, and no one seemed to be around. We got to play with it, for almost fifteen minutes before a salesman even noticed us.
My wife, seemed to be pleasantly pleased with the layout. The vehicle was comfortable for her to be in, and she liked the swing out back door, and the rear glass lift up.
She didnt like that it was so high, she could barely get into it, but I told her you could put a running board or a helper step on it.
Well we took it for a test drive, first I drove so she could feel from the passenger side what it feels like if driven aggressively (she would drive it timidly with a salesman in the back, and not truly feel what it has)
We were impressed(and it was in a pouring wet sleety day)
My wife then drove it for a little bit, and said it felt really good to her, and that we should consider it.
Right now until the 28th, there is a 3000 rebate, plus 500 presidents day, and 500 with being a military veteran. So thats four thousand off and whatever deal I can make.

Some impressions on driving the jeep.

1) Seating position is nicely high, and I like that the steering wheel, can be adjusted to a good upright position.

2) Visibility out the front was excellent, and was not bad for the rear. I wish rear view mirrow was just a tad wider, and the side view mirrors a bit larger, like on some other suvs.

3) The windows when we got in was covered with frost and couldnt see out of. Put it on high fan, and then on defrost. I waited a few seconds, and then popped the a/c button on, and the windows cleared in a matter of seconds. Extremely strong fan.

4) Transmission seemed to shift when expected. Motor is a bit loud for what the vehicle is doing, but I guess its pulling a lot weight.
I gave a chuckle when on the highway. I was cruising about 50 mph, and wanted to see what kind of passing power it was capable.
I pressed accelarator down but not all the way. The motor came to life and got loud like it was working real hard. But when you look at the speedometer, the mph just gradually increased. Sort of like an optical illusion. From the sound of the motor you think you are really accellerating hard, but not really so.
Not that important to me, but just an observation.

5) I put the car in reverse on a byway, and accellerated. Nice and smooth with no problem. Quite nice the way it goes backward.

6) I can feel the difference driving a vehicle with this short wheelbase. You have to be a little more carefull, when changing lanes on the highway.

7) Everything felt solid on the car. The doors ,metal work.

8) Wife even like the way the tires and mechana wheels looked.

9) She didnt like that the roofrails had no slots in them for a crossrail.

10) Only listened to the radio, but in our opinion the radio pretty much *****. But not a big thing to us.

11) It was still daylight, so we couldnt tell how well the headlights work.

12) Looked at the engine compartment. Looked like an american engine should.

So we talked it over and decided we want in. Especially the khaki color. We told the salesperson what we were looking for. Any color but red, and green. Select trac, tranmission, sport c model, with side curtain air bags, auto matic transmission.

He told us there is no sport model with selec trac, within fifty miles according to his computer. And that to get the rebates, deal has to be made by end of month, and that includes having insurance binder down.
But no car is available. So we are on hold.

One question I have.
What exactly does the latitude edition has on it, thats so special besided trim, and which trim.
Does anyone have a liberty with a running board or a helper step on it?

Thanks for listening.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you like the Liberty. I know exactly what you are saying about the 3.7l on the highway. It will act like its shifting twice. First it unlocks the Torque converter which will let the rpms go up some, then it will down shift into 3rd which is really the passing gear. Most likely you stayed in 4th gear with the torque unlocked which is why it wasnt really speeding up. Youve got to give it a decent amount of gas for it to downshift into 3rd.

I would like to see your wife try and get in my Liberty. \:D/ Its around 3-4in higher than a stock liberty. O:)

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can visit the Jeep website and "build" your own Jeep Liberty. You should also be able to find info on the Latitude.

You can buy KJ's with running boards. Don't live by just the salesman. Don't even trust him/her to do everything for you. From www.Jeep.com you can search dealers in your area for color and models with what you want on it.

I used it and found that there were only 2 Light Khaki Renegades in Colorado when I did my search in Sep 2004. Both were at a dealer 65 miles away.

Your local dealer will try to say they can bring a model in from another dealer, but they will charge you a fee for it. Why do that when you can drive up/down/over to that other dealer. Just make sure you have everything you might need to do the deal right then and there. The nyou can play hardball on your financing. They know that if you leave, the odds of you driving all the way back to them is NIL. That is how I got my 0.0% financing when I wasn't even qualified for it.

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good to hear that you actually know what your wife and yourself might want within the Liberty...when we (spouse and I) went to look, we really didn't know too much about Jeeps in general.
While the dealership had tons of Liberty's, the only major difference was stick shifts, autos, and colors. We felt the final price was too good to pass up, so we didn't venture to various dealers attempting to find the "perfect" Liberty. And frankly, I'm glad, as I think it's the perfect Jeep now.
With that said, the sticker price was 25,205 (basically an auto 4x4 with that 29C package), and we walked out the door paying 19,100 for it after rebates and haggling and getting 3 years free maintenance.
Fact is, we got a capable 4x4 that's comfortable, reliable, stylish, and much easier to drive than our Expedition, for less than 20k.
To me, that's a bargain. \:D/
Down the road, we'll add the tow hooks and skid plates, but for the time being, it's fantastic. We were wondering last night what took us so long to actually test drive a Jeep...and actually buy one. Better late than never!

So work those dealers and good luck!

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Near the end of December a coworker of mine was looking to buy a new vehicle. Her choices - a Hyundai Santa Fe (which she was familiar with as her sister owns one), Jeep GC and the KJ. Naturally, I recommended the KJ!

After comparing all of the specs (interior/exterior) and price she decided on the KJ. After 2 months, she couldn't be happier with her decision. Recent snow/ice has made her a firm believer in Jeep capability.