Took a really hard hit to the passenger side front - Rattling now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday on my way back from the gun club I was driving a little too fast and not paying enough attention to the potholes on a very rough frozen dirt road. It was a very hard and sharp hit. Sounded like something let go immediately and now I have a rattle on that side going over bumps. That side still feels very stable and I wasn't able to spot anything that may have broken just taking a quick look underneath. Hoping I just blew out a bushing or maybe broke the stabilizer link or one of the bolts.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I pull the wheel and get under there? Appreciate any input.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Check the sway bar stuff. I'd also look in the engine bay for anything loose. It could also be the strut mount. Check to see if the shock shaft travels in a straight line. It'd also make more of a creaking sound.

Last edited:

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could have damaged a ball joint. I wouldnt be driving it till you make sure the suspension isnt hanging on a thread!

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like to metal sleeve around the lower control arm bushing at the clevis cracked. Guessing that's what's making the noise. I'll see if I can order both sides. I'll do the sway bar links bushings and bolts as well.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang. Glad to know the hardened steel is the first thing to go when faced with a real hard pothole.

Your LCA's shouldn't be any harder to replace than lifting the Jeep...but will need to get an alignment afterward.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts are on the way! Thank you Amazon. I'll pull the other side apart tomorrow and be ready for the parts Saturday morning. Hopefully I'll be back on the road by Monday. I hate compressing those springs though. We'll see. Maybe I'll have them done for me this time around.

I'm going to replace the sway bar link and clevis fork bolts while I'm at it. My brother told me to used all grade 6. Does that sound correct?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts are on the way! Thank you Amazon. I'll pull the other side apart tomorrow and be ready for the parts Saturday morning. Hopefully I'll be back on the road by Monday. I hate compressing those springs though. We'll see. Maybe I'll have them done for me this time around.

I'm going to replace the sway bar link and clevis fork bolts while I'm at it. My brother told me to used all grade 6. Does that sound correct?

Shouldn't have to compress the spring itself. Just use a floor jack while it's already bolted to the jeep.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Grade 8 bolts I'd imagine..especially being that it's your suspension..
You could look for grade 8.2 bolts as well, but I'm pretty sure they're the same tensile as a grade 8 bolt.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

hope you ordered some ball joints too! nothing worse than taking it apart only to find out the BJs are worn after all! :Insane:

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All apart just waiting on Amazon. All BJ's and TRE's are good. I will replace all the boots with urathane boots, install 3/8" JBA clevis spacers and install an additional rear upper isolators while I'm at it.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baby's all back together. The clevis spacers and additional rear upper isos leveled it out nicely. Glad to have the new urathane boots finally on as well.

My brother informed me I caused the upper shock mount failure. The mounts I bought for the new springs and shocks didn't come with a the large top washer and I didn't know to take it from the old mount. He said not to sweat it though. He's seen many certified mechanics make the same mistake over the years. Oh well, never said I was perfect.

Spring compressors worked perfectly and I was a little more confident using the this time around. Even used them to slightly compress the rear springs which made the install much easier after I added the additional isos.