To Paint or Not to Paint that is the question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am interested in painting the belt line with spray on bedliner. I have already purchased all the supplies but have been hesitant to complete the project. I am nervous on how the finished project will look on my KJ. I don't want to strip and repaint again if I don't like the results.

Here are two pictures. One is the current KJ the other is after the belt line was photo shopped in black (I know I'm a photoshop novice):

You must be registered for see images attach

TruLiberty painted his silver KJ beltline the exact same way in this thread post #5:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44081

I know there are better options out there like Herculiner, having a shop spray on liner, etc., but if I do it I'm definately using rattle can.

Do you think it will look good on my KJ?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Beltline,roof,and bumpers bedlined.Made it easy since my KJ is a limited that came with painted flares,the sport plastic takes alot of prep work for anything to stick and last.

I used this stuff...............
http://www.uschem.com/index.cfm?page=productDetail&id=125&pid=2

The beltline and roof have been done for almost 9 years,the F/R bumper(and R/R back half flare) is about 3 years old.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks TJKJ your rig looks awesome. You think mine will look good painted to the crease?

I think it would look good on silver. I wanted to do atl east my bumpers brushguard and flares, but would only do it if I could get the good bedliner, and that stuff is not cheap...

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I finished my beltline today. I started last night at 11:30pm and painted the drivers side. Today I painted the passengers side. Total labor time was approximately 2 hours per side. Cost of materials was $25.00 dollars.

Here is a pic. (sorry it's dark my bb went down so I had to use the wife's bb tonight)

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good Jim.

Dave

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good Jim.

Dave

Thanks dave. I'm done with my mods for now. Next will be lift and exhaust when the stock set up gives out. Santa is suppose to bring me skids this year!

I'm set for the Centralia M&G. Just have to get the rest of my recovery gear. Looks like a trip to Rausch Creek with my brother in law and a couple of his friends (5 vehicles) is in the works for November. I'll be one of two vehicles with no lift and the one with the lowest ground clearance.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good! What paint did you end up going with?
Are you going to the flares and bumpers to match it?

I also just finished getting my skid setup thanks to TJKJ for the skidrow front skid and my previously purchased mopar engine/****** and Tcase skids, just need a time to install them, but not till I change the oil so I can reach the filter!

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good! What paint did you end up going with?
Are you going to the flares and bumpers to match it?

I also just finished getting my skid setup thanks to TJKJ for the skidrow front skid and my previously purchased mopar engine/****** and Tcase skids, just need a time to install them, but not till I change the oil so I can reach the filter!

I used Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating. 2 rattle cans @ $9.00 a can. I used one can for each side for 4 good coats, and I still have a little in each can for touch ups. It dried in 5 minutes between coats.

I thought about the flares, bumpers, handles and roof rack all black, but I'm liking how it looks with the silver/black/grey setup. I already painted the wheels, license plate frame, badges & grill inset areas black. And with the black pin stripe, AVS shades, bug deflector and tinted windows, I just don't want to go overboard with the black on my Silver KJ.

Now if I had a black KJ that would be a different story, I would "******" it out as they say.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating. 2 rattle cans @ $9.00 a can. I used one can for each side for 4 good coats, and I still have a little in each can for touch ups. It dried in 5 minutes between coats.

I thought about the flares, bumpers, handles and roof rack all black, but I'm liking how it looks with the silver/black/grey setup. I already painted the wheels, license plate frame, badges & grill inset areas black. And with the black pin stripe, AVS shades, bug deflector and tinted windows, I just don't want to go overboard with the black on my Silver KJ.

Now if I had a black KJ that would be a different story, I would "******" it out as they say.
Be prepared to touch up often,even with good prep that stuff does not last long and scratches super easy(to the paint below,exposing it).

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah I like that blacked out look too. I almost tinted my taillights with niteshades like I did on my old XJ but leave the circles only tinted with one light coat, and the rest of the light real dark, but I;m not sure how it would blend with silver.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be prepared to touch up often,even with good prep that stuff does not last long and scratches super easy(to the paint below,exposing it).

Ok, thanks for the heads up TJKJ. Guess I'll be keeping a can in the Jeep.

Time will tell. If I have to keep touching it up all the time, it will be going to get the professional stuff sprayed on.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online