Tires rubbing? Neat little trick...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put these in today... stopped my tires from rubbing when backing up and turning. :smoke2:

Attachments

• kj_controlarm_washer1.jpg
    kj_controlarm_washer1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 123
  • kj_controlarm_washer2.jpg
    kj_controlarm_washer2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 85

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bushings are fine and doing their job.... other than they slide around on the inner steel sleeves. :boxed:

With one 3/16" thick washer on each bushing, I've cut the 'control-arm walk' down to about half, and eliminated some tire rubbing. Seems weird to me the bushing doesn't take up the whole space in the cradle in the first place.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
The bushings are fine and doing their job.... other than they slide around on the inner steel sleeves. :boxed:

With one 3/16" thick washer on each bushing, I've cut the 'control-arm walk' down to about half, and eliminated some tire rubbing. Seems weird to me the bushing doesn't take up the whole space in the cradle in the first place.

Wondered why it was allowed to move also. Think this is a sound fix.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got two sets of lower control arms laying here,
( plus the set on the KJ)
one set with over 100,000 miles, one set with 800 or so,
neither set has the bushings sliding on the sleeves

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I can't slide the sleeve out. Its like the rubber is too soft to properly locate the wheel. I bet the bigger tires, wheel spacer, and locker put some extra load on it. The added washer is really just a limiting shim.

Anyone know of a polyurethane replacement? Or a 'fullsize' rubber version?

Last edited:

Latest posts