Tire question - Ironman All Country

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheCanadian

Reaction score
Has anyone used the ironman all country 10ply tires before?

I'm just wondering if they are any good before I buy them. My jeep is stock, no lift and no re-gearing.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally think 10ply tires are unnecessary on these jeeps unless you do some serious off-road. It's extra weight that you'll feel in the mpg and power loss.

TheCanadian

Reaction score
I personally think 10ply tires are unnecessary on these jeeps unless you do some serious off-road. It's extra weight that you'll feel in the mpg and power loss.

I take it that there is no way to regain the power loss back besides re-gearing correct?

My MPG is roughly 16MPG city give or take, I'm not too sure about highway since I've never really noticed much.

I'll have to hook up my OBD2 reader and find out a solid number.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember when I first got my jeep with the Stock S**T tires, it got ok mileage but had no traction.
Then I get some heavy Kevlar tires, lift it, add a push bar, roof rack, additional skids, gear ++ oh oh, bye bye fuel mileage.
Re-gearing will probably get you an additional 3-5 mpg depending on your tires, accessories, weight of your Jeep.

I put my jeep on the scale. The KJ curb weight is around 4033 lbs. KK is 4269 lbs.
You must be registered for see images attach

Add 2 extra persons, all the camp gear incl heavy coolers, extra fuel etc, add another 800lbs easily.
Keeping your Jeep on a diet helps regarding fuel mileage !
I did not buy the Jeep for fuel mileage though. I have a real 4x4 that gets me around in style. :)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
10 ply tires are overkill on a KJ
They are made to haul huge loads, and yes as mentioned they are heavy
Plus I tend to buy manufactures tires that is I'm 2000 miles from home can still find a replacement if needed

TheCanadian

Reaction score
I remember when I first got my jeep with the Stock S**T tires, it got ok mileage but had no traction.
Then I get some heavy Kevlar tires, lift it, add a push bar, roof rack, additional skids, gear ++ oh oh, bye-bye fuel mileage.
Re-gearing will probably get you an additional 3-5 mpg depending on your tires, accessories, weight of your Jeep.

I put my jeep on the scale. The KJ curb weight is around 4033 lbs. KK is 4269 lbs.
You must be registered for see images attach

Add 2 extra persons, all the camp gear incl heavy coolers, extra fuel etc, add another 800lbs easily.
Keeping your Jeep on a diet helps regarding fuel mileage!
I did not buy the Jeep for fuel mileage though. I have a real 4x4 that gets me around in style. :)

I have the cooper discover at/3's currently and am not a fan of them at all. During the summer their great but in the winter I get no traction at all with them. Going off-road with them wasn't great either. I don't tend to carry any extra weight unless going on a trip but even then it's not much.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My kevlar silent armor's were ok for the first few years, and then as the tread wore, not so good anymore for winter.
I think you will find the Good Year wrangler Dura-Trac's are an excellent choice !
They offer great off road & winter traction, & last a very very long time.

Oweneson

Reaction score
Hello, TheCanadian! From my experience, ironman tires are very reliable. You have nothing to worry about when it comes to choosing that particular brand. Only Discoverer AT3s come in second, other than that, I can't recommend anything else.

TheCanadian

Reaction score
IRONMAN TIRES good luck with them
I'll stick to tires that are easy to find if I ever need one or two

No disrespect or anything. But the tires I got are available at the dealership I got them at. Only have to wait a couple days which I'm fine with since I have a second vehicle now.
I got them for about $150 each instead of $250-$280 that everywhere else wanted for them.

For 4 tires, Balance and installed only costed be a little over $700

Craigo

Reaction score
My wife's KJ has the Ironman 235/70/16 on her rig, they came with it and are like brand new. Really nice deep tread and they ride nice and smoothe with hardly no road noise. She has no lift and no regearing.all stock and far as I am concerned 10 ply has no effect on gas milage that is worth noticing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Again 10 ply are way overkill
Do nothing on a lightweight KJ at all
and I can tell just driving one if it has them on

Craigo

Reaction score
So I should remove them off my wife's Jeep and throw them into the trash and buy some tires that you endorse?

Rasfetch

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Iron Man tires about a year ago, and I did not like them. First, they produce a lot of road noise. Second, I put about 10k of miles on them, and one of the side walls blew out on them. It was a pain in the ***, and my tire expectations are that a tire should last longer than 1 year. I bought a full set of Kumho Roadventure tires, and they are quieter, ride better, and look better than the Iron Mans.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I should remove them off my wife's Jeep and throw them into the trash and buy some tires that you endorse?
LOL, no not at all ! I never, ever said that at all
But there are better tires out there and more available
Of course I am known to take off in a moments notice to travel 500-750 miles away or more
I want a tire that if one goes bad or the sidewall rips out I can get one quickly

Latest posts

Members online