Tire Pressure Tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dash warning light for tire pressure seems to alert me when there may not, in fact, be a tire pressure problem (the light comes on, usually after leaving a dirt road/trail and stays on until the next time I use the Jeep). It did this before I got my new tires, wheels and tire pressure sensors and it's doing it after. I am aware that tire pressure can be different in each tire, yet still look the same, so I am considering purchasing a tire pressure gauge tool.

At some future point, I may want to get a small, underhood air compressor, if I can find one that will fit. But until then, I just want to have an easy, accurate way to check the air pressure in my tires. My first thought was to get something that is future-proof - get a tire deflator that will ultimately work in conjunction with an air compressor - but for now would be used only to get an accurate pressure reading.

Of course, this may not solve my false alert problem. It could be, I s'pose, that the tire pressure monitor module (or whatever it's called) is faulty and needs to be replaced. I think these systems were relatively new and the 2005 model KJs were the first to get them. Maybe it can be replaced with something of better quality?

Please share your thoughts and advice on this. Thanks.

Jim

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too also have the craftsman digital tire gauge.

I have slime brand mini air compressor. It has a digital pressure gauge but it is off by 4 psi.
It does not auto deflate.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craftsman tire gauge X3. I have a jump pack with a compressor to carry and a pancake compressor in the garage.

That's funny, my 05 LTD (looks like a twin of Jim's except he's got ups and nice wheels and tires) has the same weird TPMS stuff. I've gotten the weird low warning for the spare and the other day I got the "check TPM system" alert on the overhead. Toggled to the pressure screen and the passenger front has just dash marks the rest are 35-37PSI. Ignored it since I could feel it wasn't a tire pressure problem. The next day all was normal. That also had me thinking the same thing, any better alternative to the factory system or is it a tough swap? Sounds like it may be a pain to actually deactivate the factory system.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like both of you guys have bum sensors...even new ones can be ******.

I get the check TPM system one after driving for like 8 hours straight in the summer. Figure the heat messes with it.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Craftsman tire gauge X3. I have a jump pack with a compressor to carry and a pancake compressor in the garage.
I don't think those Craftsman gauges are calibrated and they may not be very accurate (some are, some aren't - it's not consistent). And I'm not fond of buying more batteries. I've read very good reviews of this though: TireTek Flexi-Pro Tire Pressure Gauge

I've gotten the weird low warning for the spare...
I don't think my KJ senses the spare. There was a small flaw in one of the wheels I got, so I had them mount it without balancing or TPMS as the spare until the replacement arrived. I never got any TPMS alert light until I went 4-wheelin' a week or so later. The alert light came on after I got back on pavement and stayed on. The next day, I started the Jeep up and it was on, but went off after a short drive. It has done that a number of times before the new wheels & tires and since that event after the new wheels & tires.

...the other day I got the "check TPM system" alert on the overhead.
I've never gotten that - or any error message - on the overhead. Maybe I should read the owner's manual again? Hmmm.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts.

Probably a bad sensor?

Get a tire pressure gauge and keep it in the Jeep. I carry a compressor which has a gauge built in and also carry an old fashioned manual gauge. Actually 2 of them. A pencil shaped one and a round gauge. I used to carry a craftsman digital gauge in the jeep and one day when I needed it and I went to use it the battery was dead so the gauge was useless and I was pissed off.....that was maybe 10 years ago. So since then I only buy/use/carry in the jeep an old fashioned manual one and I have several. My digital gauge is in my toolbox in the garage and I will bet the battery is dead again.

Just my experience.

Dave

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly on battery powered gauges. The one I linked to requires no batteries and it has been reported that it seats on the stem better than those pencil type gauges. Easier for my old eyes to read too. A plus is that it meets the ANSI B40.1 Grade B (±2%) international accuracy standard. All the quality gauges I looked at do. Neither the Craftsman digital, nor any of the pencil type gauges do.

It may not be that big a deal to meet ANSI standards, but when you push the limits of tire size on the rims I got, airing down too much could turn into a disaster. Besides, in the floorcovering installation business for 35+ years, following the guidelines of ANSI standards became the norm. Breaking them would feel like cussing in church, even when no one is around to hear you. :eek:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think those Craftsman gauges are calibrated and they may not be very accurate (some are, some aren't - it's not consistent). And I'm not fond of buying more batteries. I've read very good reviews of this though: TireTek Flexi-Pro Tire Pressure Gauge

I have a version of that too, without the flexible hose part. I keep it in the garage. It works very well. I think I picked it up at Walmart a few years back. The Craftsman seems pretty good to me but I don't know about the calibration or battery life and I haven't had it for long. If I fill at places with the built in gauge on the pump I get a very similar reading (+/- a psi) on it. Also it agrees with my TPMS on the 05. I should say I have a pencil type gauge in all 6 vehicles but those things are really a crapshoot to me. I've got a few that are 25 years old and they are the best. New ones, not so much.

I don't think my KJ senses the spare. There was a small flaw in one of the wheels I got, so I had them mount it without balancing or TPMS as the spare until the replacement arrived. I never got any TPMS alert light until I went 4-wheelin' a week or so later. The alert light came on after I got back on pavement and stayed on. The next day, I started the Jeep up and it was on, but went off after a short drive. It has done that a number of times before the new wheels & tires and since that event after the new wheels & tires.

Yes the spare thing was weird, I kept getting the low pressure symbol and would toggle through to the TPMS on the overhead and all was good. Finally the overhead said "spare low" or something like that and sure enough it was down to about 25psi. Pumped it up and it stopped. We get the chime and symbol in our Sienna all the time and often happens when cold and tire pressure is borderline acceptable. Run it a bit and it heats and expands the "air" or whatever you are running.

I've never gotten that - or any error message - on the overhead. Maybe I should read the owner's manual again? Hmmm.

I'd sort of like to deactivate mine completely but not permanently. The flaky episode happened once and I was on 270 North in a heavy rain so thought that may have messed up communication. Also, pretty sure the tires on my 05 are the factory wranglers so maybe the sensors are on their way out. Not sure of the lifespan of them. It seemed to just lose signal from the one and was fine the next morning. Guess that's why it didn't give the low pressure symbol and just the chime and overhead message to check the system. I've only had this thing for a couple months so figured there'd be some bugs.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, I meant to say before that the tire pressure gauge in your link looked pretty good but I don't have one of those so I can't say for sure.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I am glad my Jeep does not have TPMS. The warnings/ sensors can be a PITA.
Replacement aftermarket sensors can be questionable. Consider Mopar ones?
As far as tire pressure gauge, I am old school. I use a calibrated pencil type. Link: https://store.snapon.com/Pencil-Tire-Pressure-Gauges-Pressure-Gauge-Blue-Point--P647731.aspx
Sometimes I do air down in off road conditions, and have a self powered air compressor.
This way I am not plugging into an accessory socket/overheating, or draining the Jeep battery.
It also serves as a battery jumper/inverter.
Takes about 2-3 min to go from 18 to 35psi per tire.
58931[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Viair makes some good portable & onboard air systems too. Link: http://www.viaircorp.com/product-category/portables/
For portables, I prefer to not use accessory sockets, and create a fused extension with battery clamps, while jeep is running.

Attachments

• Tire%20Inflator.jpg
    Tire%20Inflator.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.quadratec.com/products/95202_4111.htm

I've spent money on the arb low pressure gauge. Is it calibrated? no idea, arb didn't certify shit. Is it precise? sure.

I've also spent 99 c at Canadian tire and bought an inexpensive pencil type. Was it within 1 psi or less? Absolutely.

Did i end up with a really good china disposable tire pressure gauge? Maybe.

but the chalk test don't lie. Calibrate to that.

As for onboard air, the sky is the limit. Tire pressure sensors die. replace them if you want them to work.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have at last count 7 different gauges from those cheaper pencil type that cost 8-10 bucks up to dual head 0-150 lb ( i think its 150 or 170 lb ) for trucks etc that I think was about 50 bucks.
All read within a pound or so of each other .
I check all tires weekly at least or before any trip over 100 miles
As far as air , have used the cheaper little units up to CO2 tanks
Love the CO2 . Cheaper units get hot airing up all 4 , good quality ones cost way more but worth it in the long run

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it could be cool to mount something like this under the hood of the KJ.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html

If it works as good as the description says it does, it'd be cool. Although the only place I wheel for now is the Badlands in Attica and they have an air compressor that's wicked fast.

That one plugs into the power port but I have one that has +and - leads that hooks right directly to the battery in the Jeep so it might be faster. Not sure. The step up from that is a vi-air for $200 or so or whatever they cost.

Dave

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive ran one of those 40 dollar slime pumps its either a 5000 or 7000 series, for about 7 years, i cut the power port plug off and put clips on it cause it draws at or above 15A which imo is too much for the kj's power ports, im actually quite surprised it(the pump) hasnt caught fire or something. i left it hooked up to air up 2 52" tractor tires and forgot about it while at a tractor pull and it ran for about an hour non stop , it airs up all 4 of my 31s from 15 to 30+ in 15 mins or so, never really timed it, probably 3 mins a tire give or take if you were to do it one tire at a time, have a manifold so i just hook them up and go do somethin else and bleed them back down to what i want when theyre done

only reason i havent upgraded is because this one hasnt blown up yet

for bout 6 months i thought i had lost it and then i found it in the shop, it must have went for a walk and i not known about it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.