Tire confusion - Goodyear Silent Armor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From some "websearch", I like what I read about the Wrangler SilentArmor, so I called the local dealer. I asked if they had them in the 225 75 R16 size that is standard on the 05 CRD, and was told that they were only available as LT225/75R16 (not P-metric). He went on to say that the LT was of the wrong load range, and would not be suitable for my Libby. He did have them in P245/70R16, which is only slightly larger - but I am hesitant to do that.

Any ideas why there could be a problem replacing P225/75R16 with LT225/75R16? I tried to read something about it on the RMA website, but I couldn't follow the logic.

Ted

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can fit 245/70R16 easily no rubbing i hve that size on my 04

i will include a pick pre lift with em

You must be registered for see images

They are a REVO but same OD

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
melted said:
Any ideas why there could be a problem replacing P225/75R16 with LT225/75R16? I tried to read something about it on the RMA website, but I couldn't follow the logic.

Ted

You shouldn't have any problem at all as long as you understand the differences. The "LT" version is built a little differently: It;s a load range "D", meaning it's a more rugged tire, more puncture resistant, has stiffer side walls, thicker tread, and higher load carying capacity. It is designed for the higher weights that some trucks might carry, and would make an excellent off road choice for some terrains for it's ruggedness.

These same qualities give it some disadvantages on the road, however. These stiffer sidewalls will give you a choppier ride, reduce your handling capabilities and hurt your gas mileage slightly.

This tire is available in a 235/70 TR16 in a Standard load (SL) which is a comparable tire to your old ones and an optional factory size as well. This size has no problems fitting your rim and wheelwell, and gives a little bigger footprint. IMO, this would be your best all around choice for a stock Liberty. Your dealer can easily order it if he doesn't stock it.

Some Liberty's experience a little rubbing with the larger 245/70 size.

The followig link shows what's available in this tire. For each application, you'll note the load capacity, max PSI, rim width requirement (your 7" rim is fine on any of these), diameter, etc.

Given the above limitations, I personally wouldn't hesitate to use those 225/75 RR 16 D's! They would be practically bullet proof off road, and should do an acceptable job on the street.

Note: SL = standard load, 4 ply rating (standard on all Libertys and virtually all other cars, light trucks and SUV's); C/D = 6 ply rating (common on 3/4 ton applications); and E = 8 ply rating (1 ton and up). ( I may be off slightly).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Wrangler+SilentArmor

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the education. Your post was the first place I read SL = standard load.

Apparently, I missed the September promotion at GY, but there is to be some other one starting in late October. I will wait until there is a better deal. The local GY dealer is selling these at full MSRP!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.