Timming Belt Change and Service Intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi All

1st Comment "Were not dull or Boring" "Were Sophisticated Diesel Connoissuers" and it runs through our vains.

2nd Comment, Our 2.8 2007MY Upgrade CRD is 4 years old in September and the Dealer tells me the Timming belt does not need changing until she reaches 100,000 miles. She only has 20,000 miles clocked and I'm concerned that there is No stipulation about its 100,000 miles or 5 years for instance.

3rd comment, 12,000 mile service intervals are common place in the UK. She does about 12miles to work and 12miles home again with some longer runs at the weekends. the hand book says reduce the interval ???? can anyone advise if this should be undertaken. Using Mobil 1 0/30 for Lube changes.

31 MPG

Thanks for Takin a Look.

Last edited:

flman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing belt is 100K. Remember, it is not exposed like your fan belt, and it is a thicker and more durable cog belt, so it never slips.

I change mine every 10K whether it needs it or not, I am using Amsoil.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All

1st Comment "Were not dull or Boring" "Were Sophisticated Diesel Connoissuers" and it runs through our vains.

2nd Comment, Our 2.8 2007MY Upgrade CRD is 4 years old in September and the Dealer tells me the Timming belt does not need changing until she reaches 100,000 miles. She only has 20,000 miles clocked and I'm concerned that there is No stipulation about its 100,000 miles or 5 years for instance.

3rd comment, 12,000 mile service intervals are common place in the UK. She does about 12miles to work and 12miles home again with some longer runs at the weekends. the hand book says reduce the interval ???? can anyone advise if this should be undertaken. Using Mobil 1 0/30 for Lube changes.

31 MPG

Thanks for Takin a Look.

Here in SA the oil change interval is 20,000 kms (12,000 miles) using pure synthetic oil.
My dealership replaced the cam belt at 80,000 kms (50,000 miles), I dont know why...probably to make some extra money!:disgust:

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some truth on T belt intervals & Oil recommendations

With quite a few gong over 100,000 miles and replacing the timing belts here in the US, the 100,000 Mile change interval looks good to me. Timing belts are much better quality in both design and materials than they were 20 years ago.
Since VM is the engine designer and manufacturer, I feel comfortable with the interval. Many of the headaches we have had with the CRD have been do to Bean Counter Engineering by Chrysler. With the torque converter, VM recommended the larger dampener springs and after enough problems, Chrysler listened (I went with a Suncoast converter instead of playing the game).
Another aspect of the Chrysler Bean Counter Engineering is the 0W-40 0r 5W-40 oil in a pinch recommendations. The BCE recommendation was to squeeze out an extra ~1%-~2% of fuel economy to comply with various Gooberment Regulations. With VM recommending 10W-40 oils for other than Chrysler applications (thanks Ranger 1) and having recommended 10W-40 in the past. The 0W-40 and 5W-40 in a pinch should be for our fellow CRD owners who have to put up with -40C (-40F) winter temperatures for the three months out of the year. Perhaps they should drain and store the 0W-40, run it through a centrifuge and swap it out in the late fall.
Since VM knows more about the engine they build than the Chrysler Bean Counter Engineers, when my 5W-40 gets to the change interval this summer, Anzoil 10W-40 is going in and I am not looking back. I run 10,000 mile intervals with mu centrifuge, before the centrifuge I ran 6,000 miles.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the user guide the right time to change your timing belt is atleast 90000 distance.

Mine went 110,000 on the first gear, 100,000 on the 2nd and the car now has 308,000 range. If it fails you're caught, but at least it's a no-interference power plant 4-cyl and you don't move valves. The 110,000 and 100,000 range devices still searched excellent. If you like to turn up the revs, 60,000 may be a excellent option. You could use some help on how to replace a timing belt by some shop or help with a buddy..

It is not exactly a "no-interferance" engine....the rocker arms are designed to break should the belt snap and the pistons hit the valves. Most reports are that the head does not have to be lifted and the valves are not bent...only have to replace the rocker arms. Most CRD sites are happy with changing the belt at 100,000 mile intervals.

Latest posts

Members online