Thrust recovery kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mostly worthless without a winch. Also I have just about the same things in my pieced together recovery bag for way less than half as much. I would just piece together what you need. Tri blade shovel is commonly called an E-tool and can be found at your local surplus store for cheap. I got my clevises and tow straps from tractor supply.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correction, not mostly worthless without a winch. I wasnt thinking about hooking up to another vehicle. Silly beer playing tricks with my mind.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty good idea of what you should have. But as stated, you can probably piece together a set for less than the $200 they are asking.

Tractor Supply or Farm + Fleet are good places to start.

And don't bother with a tri-folding shovel (entrenching tool.) The only advantage they offer is lightweight and small size. and are only useful for soft sand or loose dirt as they are pretty weak. At minimum get a folding shovel with a wood handle (like the older US or Soviet era military shovels.) The ones with the pick at the back are especially handy.

Cidghoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah no winch needed by buddys got a truck that could pull a couple of libertys lol
Thanks for the feedback I'll look around.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def shop around. Your paying mostly for the convienence of getting everything in one package. My recovery gear bag has more in it + a hand winch and i probly paid a little less hen half that price.

Cidghoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could see a hand winch being handy. What # tolerance is acceptable for a decent one.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was hand down from my uncle. Its rated for 4k lbs with a 10' chain and it works great, ive used it a couple times and it hasnt let me down yet. Heres a link for one at tractor supply
Tuf-Tug® Tote-Tugger, 3,000 lb. Pull Capacity - 1031918 | Tractor Supply Company

And if you have a couple pulley blocks you can go back and forth through them to pull heavier loads. Theres a term for the technique but its slipped my mind at the moment but heres a link for it.
blog.promarkoffroad.com/2011/05/12/winching-techniques-use-a-pulley-block-to-double-pulling-power/

Cidghoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet thanks for the links. Looks like I know of everything I need now.
Thanks for the help all

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd buy the stuff individually as your needs will vary.

Depending on your location, some things may make more sense than others (i.e. tree savers and pulleys don't do much good in the desert- no trees! But extra water and a CB radio can literally save your life.)

Make sure you have recovery points! If not, you'll have no place to hook up that fancy new strap. Winches are extremely nice to have, but not required.

You can save a lot of money by not over-prepping.

Last edited:

Cidghoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i have front d rings i just did. No rear hitch yet but will before i go off road. Just preping.

Latest posts

Members online