This site just saved me a huge headache

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samlesher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I recently purchased a 2004 KJ Columbia Edition with 107,000 miles on it. This site has been saving me tons of money by showing me how to change all the fluids and do all the routine maintenance that needs to be done to this rig.

I noticed all the HOWTOs always say to remove the fill plug FIRST before you remove the drain plug to make sure it's not stuck and that you can refill it once it's drained.

Well, today I changed the front differential oil. Luckily I followed your advice because the fill plug was stuck hard! I know that if I hadn't been reading this site, I would have drained it first without checking and then I would have been hosed.

After much googling and deliberation, I decided to go gorilla on the fill plug and was able to remove it. It only cost me one cheap socket wrench which I put a custom twist into!

You must be registered for see images attach

So, thank you everybody.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. In my experience the ratchet mechanism is what breaks first on those cheap ratchets (which is all I use since I'm just a weekend grease monkey.) The first time I changed my front diff, I used a breaker bar on the fill plug and sheared a 1/2" to 3/8" drive adapter trying to get the thing off. I guess the P.O.'s mechanic had one hell of an arm!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
(welcome) and glad you're finding the site as a good resource!

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if someone hasn't had the problem and made a thread about it then there's always guna be someone around to help you out without making you feel like a fool. i know from experience on other forums lol