thinking about buying a 95 grand cherokee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For now until i can afford a jeep liberty, i am looking into a jeep grand cherokee limited. It has 110,000 kilometres on it. I only wanna keep it for about a year or so before i replace it with a liberty. How is the reliability on this vehicle?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The Grand Cherokee never has been the most reliable Jeep. It seems like each generation has its own share of problems. Maybe it's a curse? Even the new ones have issues. But of course the 4.0L will run forever...

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well scratch that anyways, my dad is very determined that i dont buy a grand cherokee, he has heard some really bad things about them from some owners. So they gave me the green light to get myself a liberty and will co-sign for a loan so hopefully in the next few weeks i will FINALLY be a liberty owner, YAY

2003KJ

Reaction score
I know you changed your mind, but incase somebody else comes upon this....

The ZJ's arent all THAT bad....just depends on whatcha get on them.

The first couple of years, the V8's were pigs (but they've come a LONG way). Stay away from the quadra-junk (quadra-trac AWD system....once again though, has come a LONG way in the years).

And as Marlon said, the 4.0 will run forever. Period. If you were to find an early enough 1993 model with the 4.0, it might very well have the AW4 automatic ****** behind it, which is the same one thats used in ALL the automatic Cherokee's with the 4.0. (i've seen a few AW4's behind the 1993 4.0 ZJ's)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I didn't like the 4wd systems in the Grands (quadra-trac and quadra-drive or whatever). I guess it's the electronic wizardry of the systems. I'm not saying they're bad but just what I prefer. I guess I'm a "pull the lever" type and I prefer the selec-trac. So if you were looking for a pre-02 Jeep other than wrangler I have a real soft spot for a good XJ with the 4.0/AW4/Selec-trac.

Anyway, if you've decided on a KJ look around, drive a few, and get the right one for you. Happy KJ hunting and let us know what you find.

Dave

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you changed your mind, but incase somebody else comes upon this....

The ZJ's arent all THAT bad....just depends on whatcha get on them.

The first couple of years, the V8's were pigs (but they've come a LONG way). Stay away from the quadra-junk (quadra-trac AWD system....once again though, has come a LONG way in the years).

And as Marlon said, the 4.0 will run forever. Period. If you were to find an early enough 1993 model with the 4.0, it might very well have the AW4 automatic ****** behind it, which is the same one thats used in ALL the automatic Cherokee's with the 4.0. (i've seen a few AW4's behind the 1993 4.0 ZJ's)

Nope never did change my mind, i have always wanted a liberty but my parents did not want me to take out a loan and pay interest and all that crap. So they said buy something cheap to do me over so i can pay for the liberty in full. Well so far they didnt like anything i found, i did like that GC. But my parents said they would rather agree and co-sign a loan for me to get a liberty instead of risking buying a cheap used car that could turn out to be a lemon with no warranty. I never changed my mind but i would much rather have a liberty and if they are allowing me to get it then damn right i will lol.

I personally know people have the GC and they love it, if my dad didnt offer the alternative of letting me get a KJ then i would probably be fightin them to get that GC.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Personally I didn't like the 4wd systems in the Grands (quadra-trac and quadra-drive or whatever). I guess it's the electronic wizardry of the systems. I'm not saying they're bad but just what I prefer. I guess I'm a "pull the lever" type and I prefer the selec-trac. So if you were looking for a pre-02 Jeep other than wrangler I have a real soft spot for a good XJ with the 4.0/AW4/Selec-trac.

Anyway, if you've decided on a KJ look around, drive a few, and get the right one for you. Happy KJ hunting and let us know what you find.

Dave

Yeah the quadra-junk electronically wasn't bad, it was the coupler inside the tcase that was crap.

And I agree 100% on the XJ with the 4.0/AW4/NP242