Theoretical question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idkwhat

Reaction score
Say a man wanted to get a 6 inch lift on his 2007 liberty limited and he is willing to do a lot of fender and bumper cutting and even maybe beat in a bit on the wheel well... whats the maximum tire size useable for off roading and a seperate set of tires possibly of more magnitude that would be fine on the city streets?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not the space in the wheel well that is the only tire size limiter. You need to worry about the drivetrain. The amount of wear and tear you are going to put on your differentials transmission transfer case etc.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say a man wanted to get a 6 inch lift on his 2007 liberty limited and he is willing to do a lot of fender and bumper cutting and even maybe beat in a bit on the wheel well... whats the maximum tire size useable for off roading and a seperate set of tires possibly of more magnitude that would be fine on the city streets?

32" or 33" tires with JBA's steel front diff running 4.56 gears,plan on a set of RCV custom front CV axles also.

With lift,diff,gears(and lockers),wheels/tires,and all the little things your looking at $10,000+.The lift is what $6000? The CV axles will be $1200+.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need the jba coil overs( because of the skinnier spring to stop spring to upper control arm contact) and the extended upper control arms. No way to use factory.. A differential drop, cut down axels. A 4 link rear suspension with extended rear lower control arms( to push the rear differential back towards the center of the fender well). Close to $10,000 will do it. Time shipping and other parts that will need to be added. For that price a straight axle assembly could be added.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the hypothetical mods and $10K + in cost and the time your KJ will be undriveable as it will be in various stages of work you will be a long time without any transportation. Better to get an old TJ or something for $2,000 and have $8 grand left to build it while you have the KJ to drive........hypotheticly speaking....

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Its not really about fender or bumper cutting nor beating the pinch welds, its about lifting it right with the right parts .
Go to JeepinByAl and start your list and you'll see what others have posted is about right . Then run 33s or so
Now think for a moment with proper gears / JBA coilover lift and done right you can run 32s for less.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for S&Gs, looked up a couple of things in my master catalog.
JBA's very best 6 inch Platinum kit is $8856.25 ( with cut CVs )
Then add in steel front diff with 4.56s gears installed $2629.89
We are now at 11,486.14
Now almost done, will only need to regear the rear diff , then tires and wheels

By the way how deep are your pockets ? :icon_razz:

Last edited:

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOWEVER; I am sure you would love it. I know I would,

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the hypothetical mods and $10K + in cost and the time your KJ will be undriveable as it will be in various stages of work you will be a long time without any transportation. Better to get an old TJ or something for $2,000 and have $8 grand left to build it while you have the KJ to drive........hypotheticly speaking....

Dave

^ This is where I'd be at. Or if I was so hell bent on having such a rig, and did not care so much about "being unique" or whatever justification I had in spending $12,000 upgrading a 14 year old KJ, I'd just join the Wrangler crowd and be done.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^ This is where I'd be at. Or if I was so hell bent on having such a rig, and did not care so much about "being unique" or whatever justification I had in spending $12,000 upgrading a 14 year old KJ, I'd just join the Wrangler crowd and be done.

I could never / ever even think of doing anything like that.
The day you see me driving a Wrangler is the day I just won one and taking it to trade it off! :happy175:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The day you see me driving a Wrangler is the day I just won one and taking it to trade it off! :happy175:

Oh come on......Wranglers are good. I like a black 2 dr myself.

Dave

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your willing to spend $10,000+ might as well SFA it for a little more.
I was waiting for you to tell him that [emoji123]

I was thinking; in my area guys with homemade rigs can be handed a vehicle inspection if the cops get suspicious about quality of work, could be trouble.. Might make my potential sfa kj trailer only

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dave

LOL ... at least it's still a Jeep. Well, as much as any Jeep made since 1987.....

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lmao

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for you to tell him that [emoji123]

I was thinking; in my area guys with homemade rigs can be handed a vehicle inspection if the cops get suspicious about quality of work, could be trouble.. Might make my potential sfa kj trailer only

In your area, get an old TJ, take the top off, and drive it around the desert. Need to just be sure you got hooks, straps, water, etc., and a buddy in another 4x4 along. Fun, fun, fun........

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Dave

While I " sort of " like the overall look, no not for me.
I'll drive a Toyota before any new Wrangler. ( and have never owned any vehicle with an over seas name tag except a VW bug)
17 Jeeps over the last 40 years and the newer Jeeps just don't give me the warm fuzzys

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove a 2016 2 weeks ago and I told the guy mine was waaay better he couldnt believe it hahah, he was a total suit, lmao

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In your area, get an old TJ, take the top off, and drive it around the desert. Need to just be sure you got hooks, straps, water, etc., and a buddy in another 4x4 along. Fun, fun, fun........

Dave
In my are I crawl up Rocky mountain trails I have no business being on with a crew of trucks and I go first [emoji106]

This was before my lift was 3.75

Dave
You must be registered for see images attach