The UK "KJ"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I for one don't like the idea of the Liberty being called a Cherokee. It is unique and very different from the old Cherokee. There really aren't that many options as you think from that site. They spread the info out more.

Here you can get the Libby Sport 2x4 or 4 x4, with 2.4 L or 3.7 L engine
You get the Limited w/ differing options
You get the Renegade w/ differing options also.

They just give it a slightly different twist.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the only reason that the Libby is called Liberty in North America is because DC was going to continue to sell the old Cherokee here and then decided agaisnt it but after they had already decided to market it as the Libby. Hence Liberty here, and Cherokee in the rest of the world. At least, I recall reading that in one of the car mags.... :-k

chefdab

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that it was called Cherokee in Europe because some French manufacturer makes a car called a Liberty and they didn't want confusion or copyright hassles.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its also sold as Cherokee in the Middle East and Asia/Pacific Rim areas as well.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
chefdab said:
I thought I read somewhere that it was called Cherokee in Europe because some French manufacturer makes a car called a Liberty and they didn't want confusion or copyright hassles.

subaru in Oz calls their Legacy the Liberty, and Peugot has motorcyles named Liberty....

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't even know that Peugot made bikes.....learned something new today \:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the name. Now I know! Well, my other question is, "Why did the UK (and other places) get the CRD first?" Does DC build the "KJ" outside of the US as well, or just in Toledo?

yoda13 said:

Peugeot has bikes? Wow. My old man owned a diesel Peugeot during the late 70's to early 80's thanks to Carter's supposed energy crisis. It had decent 30 + mpg, which back then was big! But trying to find someone to work on it outside of the east coast was horrible. Parts were expensive and had to come by boat! It was very sensitive to water in the diesel. Unfortunately the engine block cracked shortly past 100k. The car was in other words perfect shape, but due to having to replace the motor, it was junked. Fun little RWD car to drive, being a stick shift. Like a little diesel truck. When I was 14 I use to "borrow" it.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yoda13 said:

Peugot has been around forever. They even make Road bikes (bicycles). Becoming less known for it though.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I read the UK literature about naming the KJ a Cherokee. It said that DC wanted to call it a Cherokee in the USA too. They didn't because any replacement for the XJ in the USA was critcal to DC's success and they wanted to keep the XJ available if the sales of the KJ didn't take off. Therefore they couldn't call the KJ a Cherokee!

In the UK the XJ has only been available since 1992 and so we didn't have the 'connection' with the XJ as you guys.

By the way, you have far more options for KJ's from DC than we do. We have 3 models, the limited, extreme sport and the sport.

We don't have offroad packages etc. or 2x4.

It's mainly that we have another engine available to us, the 2.5 CRD.

By the way, did you the read the 4x4 of the year award and the worlds the best offroader? Jeep came out tops (above Landrover which is unusual over here) \:D/

To answer Mr Grogiefrog's question about why we got the CRD first. Mainly because the fuel costs for the 3.7l are out of the reach of most Europeans. Fuel here is about 85p per litre which equates to about $5.70 per gallon (US). A diesel that does 30 mpg is almost affordable :-k We got the 2.5 CRD as our first diesel engine. The 2.8 CRD is the same unit with a larger bore (Italian made.... but not as fast as a Ferrari!)

Ian

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that I saw some XJs when I was in Europe in 1990, though I admit to not seeing any in the UK while I was there. Were they available on the Continent first?

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kj lad said:
To answer Mr Grogiefrog's question about why we got the CRD first. Mainly because the fuel costs for the 3.7l are out of the reach of most Europeans. Fuel here is about 85p per litre which equates to about $5.70 per gallon (US).

Gack... yeah, we complain over here in North America about the cost of fuel... can we even imagine this? :-s

Todays exchange from British Pound to US Dollar is 1.9392
3.785 litres = 1 US gallon

0.85p x 1.9392 x 3.785 = $6.24 USD / US gallon
(~$2.03 CAD per litre... just FYI for the Canadians 'round here)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
kj lad said:
To answer Mr Grogiefrog's question about why we got the CRD first. Mainly because the fuel costs for the 3.7l are out of the reach of most Europeans. Fuel here is about 85p per litre which equates to about $5.70 per gallon (US).

Gack... yeah, we complain over here in North America about the cost of fuel... can we even imagine this? :-s

Todays exchange from British Pound to US Dollar is 1.9392
3.785 litres = 1 US gallon

0.85p x 1.9392 x 3.785 = $6.24 USD / US gallon
(~$2.03 CAD per litre... just FYI for the Canadians 'round here)

Wow! Wow! Wow! I just paid $1.62/gal. today for regular unleaded. Take that! \:D/

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
paying about $1.72 around here. Thank goodness, it was almost two bucks a gallon just a few weeks ago. ](*,)

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yoda, you may have seen some XJ's because they imported by private buyers and some were bought from US forces personel. But Jeep came to the UK as an offical product in 1992.

By the way, now you guys know why I always rent a V8 when I go the USA on holiday. It's the only time I can afford to run one :alien:

I go to Florida in January (yay) and I just bought my US dollars..... I just doubled my money \:D/

Ian

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you know why scooters (Vespa's) and bicycling are sooooo popular in Europe. Gas/Petrol is ridiculous there.

Does anyone know why and by who the Libby is designated "KJ?"

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another reason i am glad i am in aus rather than the UK petrol here is .86Aud per liter

and 1 Aussie doller is equal to .76 Us D

you dont want to know what it is against the Pound :-({|=