The process (was: Spacer Lift will be your doom).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJBassman

Reaction score
I am glad I joined this list. So, I really don’t know a lot of this stuff, but joining this group has giving me lots of information. I got all my skids in and I am not that mechanically that inclined. But I guess all this reading and maybe not enough doing) has gotten me bit confessed. So I thought I create this topic to get the process down first, and somewhat based on the other topic in the general area about the spacer lift problem. Since I am not that mechanically inclined;

What are all the things you need to do to the KJ to do a proper lift? I guess I want to consolidate the process or parts/steps before adding the vender stuff. I have been reading and trying to do some sort of list of things to do, but I am confused.

Second, what I was thinking was getting the needed parts and stuff and then have some sort of mechanic actually do the work. Is that a good thing?

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DJ, I'm going to say this as nicely as possible, rest assured it's meant with the best intentions. The only way to overcome your mechanical ineptitude is to get your hands in there and do some work. If you're going to take this rig out and wheel it, you need to have a fundamental idea of how things work, stuff breaks and you'll need to know how to fix it. You appear to be an intelligent guy, you'll figure out wrench turning with ease.

Mechanics are kind of like car salesman, give them the chance and they will rip you off, especially at a dealership.

This forum and L.O.S.T. are full of good information, unfortunately I've found that nobody tells all, or maybe others just haven't encountered certain problems.

The KJ is a relatively new platform to wheeling and is experiencing growing pains, at times severe growing pains.

DJBassman

Reaction score
yes... I will try and do as much as possible. I installed the fog lights using those wonderfull wordless mopar instuctions. I must admit the 06 instuctions was way easier that the 04 that I saw on here. I will get there as best as I can. If the instructions are such, and my son or someone else are able to help, then i will attempt do it myself. I do all the other lttle things, change oil, change roters and the like. I have a bad back, so, there are other faters that will limit me.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to proudly proclaim that 6 months ago I would have needed help to change my own brake pads.

I am now able, if necessary, to replace just about anything. In addition to that I have spent a significant amount of time studying transmissions, differentials, transfer cases and the various types of spring suspensions.

As an addition to Mutt's advice I would say sit down and do some ******** reading to get a basic knowledge of all of the vehicle functions and mechanics. Then get under your jeep and look around, if there is something you see that you don't understand look it up and read into it.
If all else fails, get under there and play with it.

Once you get over the initial frightening hurdle of the basics, you really start to look at your vehicle a different way.
After that all of your repair or modification work just looks like time you have to spend, instead of money.

It is also helpful to know an honest mechanic who can break it down for you.

Of course I still lack more knowledge than I'd like to admit, but generally, things you enjoy doing have a way of burning into your head a little easier than obligations.

DJBassman

Reaction score
Yeah, I am no stranger to doing it myself on the other car's. I have not been able to find any books to work on the 06, so that makes it a bit hard. I have already spen $500 on the things I already done, so this months jeep budget is used up. Actually, it was July's budget, May I bought the jeep, June I had to get the little things, licens and what sort of thing.

So, what is a good site to read up about lift's? I still would like a list of, here is what's involved in a lift.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DJBassman said:
Yeah, I am no stranger to doing it myself on the other car's. I have not been able to find any books to work on the 06, so that makes it a bit hard. I have already spen $500 on the things I already done, so this months jeep budget is used up. Actually, it was July's budget, May I bought the jeep, June I had to get the little things, licens and what sort of thing.

So, what is a good site to read up about lift's? I still would like a list of, here is what's involved in a lift.

Go search on L.O.S.T for lifts and you will finds days worth of stuff to read.