The 'Phat KJ'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Figure I will start one of these, it will be a slow build though. Anyway we are starting off with a 2004 Jeep Liberty
You must be registered for see images

Specs: 04 KJ, 3.7L, auto, 231 T-case, "half" a D30 front, C8.25 rear all with 3.73 gears. Nothing really to fancy on it..
Mah plans for it: I would like to start off with adding some simple tow hooks out front, and some skids plates to cover the important stuff on the bottom. Stage 2 of the build I want to add a lift and some 31's. I don't know how extreme I'm gonna get with it as I'm still paying on it and I also have my YJ to wheel, but for now the KJ will be my "baby jeep."
Just some odds and ends pictures for the thread.

So anybody in the midwest up for a trip to Bundy hill in august? and what does everyone think of Rusty's off road as far as lifts?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rustys lifts suck big time
Is that clear enough? :D
Springs rate is the same as stock, rear shocks never have fit right and rattle, only good thing is the front shocks and he does use OME but puts one of his decals over the OME name

Go OME springs 927s front rear 948s

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(lol) No need to beat around the bush buddy. It seems like alot of poeple like OME.. got plenty of time to look into things..

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the Rusty's gear for about 60K miles. Rear shocks didn't last long and the whole kit took a big crap when I hung the ARB and winch on the front end. Go OME if you can swing it. You'll be much, much, much happier.

Personally, I'm running the OME790s up front and 948s out back.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my front skid plate came in

So I got that all mounted up

everything lined up but one bolt

the difference between an 04 and 05 I guess..

I was just gonna leave it but it bugs me heh. I went and got a bolt and I'm gonna use the new dewalt to drill a hole. but I'm gonna leave it until I get my ****** skid because I don't know if I have to take the front skid back off or not in order to mount the ****** skid.

95y " still waiting on the tow hooks to come in" jman

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have to loosen the rear of the front skid to put the trans skid in. I see that on the '04s there aren't provisions for the locating tabs that the '05 trans skids have. I sandwiched the front of my trans skid between the front skid and the crossmember. Makes like scales, stuff can't get hung up as it transitions from rubbing the front skid to rubbing the trans skid. Helps slide over rocks n things.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the difference between an 04 and 05 I guess..

I was just gonna leave it but it bugs me heh. I went and got a bolt and I'm gonna use the new dewalt to drill a hole. but I'm gonna leave it until I get my ****** skid because I don't know if I have to take the front skid back off or not in order to mount the ****** skid.

95y " still waiting on the tow hooks to come in" jman

There's the difference! Finally right here is the difference. I am so happy now that I was patient and got the actual "old" skid. The old skid has a piece that wraps around the bend of the cradle there and the hole lines up with that hole you see with the threads in it. Still need a hole with threads for the ****** skid though so 6 of 1, half dozen of another. :(
Good Pics!

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem rocky!

and thanks for that ****** skid pic, that helps! Gives me an idea of how everything mounts up before I get it.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my tow hooks came in, so I started getting them mounted up..
Pulled her into the shop and started by taking of the liscense plate holder, the directions said too heh

then got everything sorted out for each side

got one mounted up but then my camera started to die..

guess your pictures get fuzzy when the batterys go heh

I'll get some pictures of the final product when I get fresh batterys..

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got new batterys for my camera and both tow hooks mounted up..

I then decided to check the ball joints on this mug, you know since its going to get wheeled heh turns out the lowers are bad..with the help of geekyjeep I look up to see if it has a recall, turns out it does and its going in tuesday first thing in the morning..the shop putor

and it now has rear recovery

just a random photo, we always have some kinda jeep at my place..

anyway last thing for tonight, I got my flag mount made, simple really just drilled a hole in the tire carrier and mounted it that way, not the best but it works for now. they look weird with no rear tire..

all mounted up

and yes I took it back off, while I have seen jeepers do it, I just can't drive around town with a flag mounted to my jeep, for wheelin use only..thats all for now.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks great, pretty much the same mods as mine. But I have no flag mount, but they aren't needed here....

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
if you can, flip your spare mount upside down and drill straight down for your flag mount..

i cant get mine off or i would

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
added a ****** skid, then wheeled it! back in august

It got trail rash too (banghead)

Part of wheelin though right...