The Official "My Gas Mileage *****" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome Mud!

After averaging a few tanks with 60-70% highway I am getting 20mpg. Much better with the new plugs and exhaust.

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been averaging about 13-15 city and right around 18-19 highway according to the display, sometimes I wonder how accurate it is because according to my own calculations I've been getting slightly less than what the display reads. For an 11 year old jeep I cant really complain.. Only time I get really annoyed is sitting in dead traffic commuting into the city...I feel like I can almost see the gas gauge slowly moving towards empty
Yup. I also drive 2002 KJ and I'm getting almost identical numbers. By my own measurements, I'm averaging 14.1 city/hwy combined and 19.5 pure highway. But I also drive with the AC on like all the time and I average 75 on the highway, so my numbers might improve marginally if I were to shut off the cold air and slow it down a bit.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When driving @ 50 MPH my RPM is 2000-2200. Is this normal, almost like no overdrive? Oh and my gas mileage ***** bad!! AVG/MPG 13-14

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get around 13-14 mpg and im perfectly fine with that. If you want good gas mileage go with a car

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When driving @ 50 MPH my RPM is 2000-2200. Is this normal, almost like no overdrive? Oh and my gas mileage ***** bad!! AVG/MPG 13-14

And yes 2000-2200 is normal for me atleast

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I must have broke something. The past couple weeks I have been averaging in the 16mpg range. Much better than the 13-14mpg I usually get. :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I use non ethanol Chevron Supreme 94 in My KJ and really dont care much about the mileage as the Jeep is a safe 4x4 and can pack a good load of stuff.
That being said if anyone is getting 20mpg that is lifted tell me your secret. Are you running a half a tank of fuel, summer tires, no armor, no rack, single occupant or what?
On My last hwy run that I did check, the KJ averaged 15 mpg. Had 250 lb of interior camping gear/coolers, and the rack had some stuff in it too.
48475[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I think it was $50 for every 120 miles ($6 per gallon)
Who Cares I Was Camping with a Cold Beer! :party52::favorites13:
and at a Lake! :fish_h4h::fishing1:

Attachments

• LibertyCampRack1.jpg
    LibertyCampRack1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
It's all relative. Suppose you got 22.5 mpg instead of fifteen. It would be 1/3 less expensive, but you'd have a crummy time getting there and would have to leave half your stuff at home. Or you could stay home and watch TV and run up your electric bill instead.

Catch anything good? :icon_cool:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya know Steve Nothin beats the Great Outdoors!
Cant leave Stuff at home when your far from a civilization ,no cell coverage, and finally finding a secluded quiet off road or even a forestry road camping spot, or even one of our hundred provincial parks!
I may only stay one night and move onto another location all in the journeys/exploration
No Mr Conservation Officer I Did Not Catch anything...
48478[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

(later after officer leaves LOL) Just kidding..
Butter, Lemon a bit of extra seasoning! Yummy!

Attachments

• FreshWaterSockEye.jpg
    FreshWaterSockEye.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use non ethanol Chevron Supreme 94 in My KJ and really dont care much about the mileage as the Jeep is a safe 4x4 and can pack a good load of stuff.
That being said if anyone is getting 20mpg that is lifted tell me your secret. Are you running a half a tank of fuel, summer tires, no armor, no rack, single occupant or what?
Last trip I made to MOAB when I was still IFS my KJ was sitting at 5500lbs(fully armored),265/75's(at 43psi),4.10's,corrected speedo,91 octane,and about 250lbs of extra gear.Got to 78mph as fast as possible and kept it there,no cruise control(can't in CO anyway with the KJ) and averaged over the trip 21.9mpg's.

redpoint5

Reaction score
I average 75 on the highway, so my numbers might improve marginally if I were to shut off the cold air and slow it down a bit.

Slowing to 65 mph would improve your MPG significantly.

I found that my 2002 would either shift into overdrive, or lock the torque converter at 60 mph. The tach would show 2000 RPM at 55 mph, and slowly climb until I hit 60 mph, at which point it dropped back down to 2000 RPM again. I'd say 61 mph is the sweet spot for both efficiency and speed.

That being said if anyone is getting 20mpg that is lifted tell me your secret.

I averaged 19 mpg in mixed driving. The roof rack is certainly hurting your fuel economy. Also, anything over about 65 mph really hurts economy. Jeep is made for slowly crawling around, not aerodynamic efficiency.

If you want to improve your fuel economy, use your brakes as little as possible. This truck is heavy, and wasting the momentum to slow down really hurts mpg. Time traffic lights so you don't have to stop, anticipate what traffic is doing by looking several car lengths ahead.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a JEEP.
I have never been concerned about my gas mileage.
It is what it is, if I want better.....I won't drive a JEEP
:ehcapt:

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed oil and filter, checked tire pressure, went to Tennessee for a week on vacation and for giggles I checked the mileage on the way back to Florida ( using old math- odometer and calculator). Came out to 21MPG on highway. I am surprised!

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got 16 MPG on my first tank with this Jeep and that was over half hiway driving with basically nothing in the vehicle except me. This is gonna need some work

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do all city driving stop and go barely getting out of first then stop over and over hate it i try and try to get a cruise going around 7mph never works. In the city after doing regular work lately like new water pump radiator coolant trans pan drop new spark plugs this helped a bit from low 14mpg to mid to high 15mpgs that is descent in my book for a 2002 with nearly 160k. On the other hand on the highway (saturday&sunday) i get around 21mpg give or take 1 depending on the heavy foot. I run pretty heavy a ton of tools and stuff all over my jeep probably an exta 250lbs on me everyday. The general grabbers are also nearly double the weight of the stockers they also have a high rolling resistance.

ArtO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 with 110000 miles on it so far. My wife drove it for the first 105000 miles and never got better than 15.5 mpg. Since I have started driving it every day I have consistently hit 21.5 mpg. I do not drive slow by any means. Usually just me, and a tool box while commuting. A couple days I week I load up approx 300 pounds of tools & hardware and make deliveries for my company. The 21.5 is a weekly average. I'm not complaining by any means. It gets better mileage than my rear wheel drive Silverado ever got.

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the last week, mixed motorway? city driving i have been using 11.3l per 100 kms, to you US guys just over 20MPG which is not too bad

quite an old thread but here is my contribution. car is bifuel setup. running on LPG. 3.7 133000 km.

11.3 liters LPG per /100km. %70 of the times it is highway driving at constant speed.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For everyone who is posting their MPG's or L/100kms, how are you getting your numbers? Are people just getting it from the overhead console, or are you doing the math yourself at the pump?

I am asking because I do the math myself at the pump, I do not have an overhead console. I average 16-17 MPG with alot of hiway driving. But I noticed that when I plug my OBDII reader in, it tells me Im getting a much higher MPG then I have ever actually gotten.

Latest posts

Members online