The official "Gun Nut" thread.....

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by SurfGuitar141, Nov 24, 2010.

1. CherokeeLiberty

CherokeeLiberty Full Access Member

I swapped some optics around this week. I threw a 1-4x24 Vortex on my AR and got it all sighted in. I'm hoping my girlfriend will want to go deer hunting with me this year. I figured the AR would be a great beginner's rifle. I just have to get her out to the range to shoot.

2. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

Anyone here reload?
    I've been picking up brass all year for Freedom Arms' exchange program only to find out they no longer do it.
    So I have ~1100 9mm and ~600 .40 S+W. Mixed brands, once fired, uncleaned.

If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM and we can figure something out. Basically, I'll sell it for the cost of shipping and a few beers.

3. Leeann

Leeann Full Access Member

We reload, but we have a ton of both 9mm and .40 S+W that we need to get off our butts and do. Thanks, though ;)

Oh - Santa brought me a violin case for my birthday present :D

Jo6pak likes this.
  4. sota

sota Full Access Member

I've got a metric butt ton of brass here myself. I don't reload, and frankly until I get into long range shooting, I don't see any point.
    What I need/want to do is figure out how to smelt down the brass I have.

5. LONGJEEPOWNER

LONGJEEPOWNER Full Access Member

Anyone have any .45 Long Colt brass?

6. Jo6pak

I've heard of people doing that also. Apparently, there is money to be made- if one already has all the equipment.

Seems that most "reloaders" don't really reload all that much. LOL. But I guess with ammo being pretty cheap lately, there's not much reason unless it's for specialty loads.

7. Jo6pak

I have another 2GAC shoot next Saturday and going rabbit hunting with my brother on Sunday. I'm torn between wanting it to stay warm for the shoot, and wanting colder temps and snow for chasing bunnies...

profdlp likes this.
  8. profdlp

profdlp On The Ledge

You can't eat paper targets. ;)

Jo6pak and turblediesel like this.
  9. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

Not bad with catsup!

Dogs from other neighborhoods come to my deadend to stand still, watch, and hunt the bunnies running back and forth across the road. It's an arcade for them.

profdlp likes this.
  10. PIMking13

PIMking13 New Member

I use to reload 9mm, 45, and .223.

I would pop the primers out then I got a rock tumbler kit at Harbor freight. Bought Stainless steel pins online and tumbled them in water, dawn dish soap and lemi shine for a while. Then I would strain them and let them air dry for a day or two. You could also use a dehydrator thing for jerky if you want.

I had a rock chucker that I used for my rifle rounds. I'd measure all the cases with a micrometer and trim if needed. Weighed them and separated them by weigh so when I was making long range rounds for my bolt action I could be as consistent as possible. I would measure ever single rifle charge load and measured every single round to be as consistent as possible.

Pistol rounds I just popped the primers and tumbled them. then I would use the progressive machine to do them. I would check every 4-6 rounds the charge just to make sure they were right so I don't get a hot or cold charge.

Had rounds made specifically for the 1911 and IDPA matches, set my rounds on my bolt action to .001 of the lands for accuracy. Hornaday Vmax worked the best for me and just regular ball ammo for pistols were fine.

11. sota

sota Full Access Member

See, I'd want to try and automate the process as much as possible, so I'd spend WAY MORE on reloading gear/parts/tinkering than I could ever spend on ammo. :D

12. CherokeeLiberty

I reload a lot of 38spl. I can either buy it for 35-40 cents per round, or load it for 15. 9mm is cheap enough that I don't bother with it. I also do 357mag, 10mm, 44spl and mag, 22-250, 243, 25-06, and 308.

Speaking of 44spl, this is on layaway:

[​IMG]

Ruger GP100 44spl. It should be fun!

13. CherokeeLiberty

Has anyone been out shooting lately? Any new guns? I've been working on finding a good subsonic 300blk load. I got a chronograph to help in the process. 10mm has also been on my loading list. Turns out my pet load is pushing a 180gr cast bullet at about 1343fps.

14. sota

sota Full Access Member

got out to a farm and fired off the BOHICA. :D

15. Leeann

Leeann Full Access Member

I forgot to give a range report on the Thompson....that thing is an absolute blast (pun intended) to shoot! Even with iron sights, it's really accurate and, with the stock installed, it's really comfortable to shoot. There are plenty of rifles that shoot smaller cartridges that my messed-up shoulder can't handle, but the Thompson doesn't hurt me.

Everyone who's shot it has giggled ;)

profdlp likes this.