The official "Gun Nut" thread.....

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by SurfGuitar141, Nov 24, 2010.

1. cplchris

cplchris Full Access Member

i signed up for targetsportsusa's ammo prime and ordered some ammo, no more debating about ammo prices for me, discount and free shipping on every purchase will be nice.

might test out the .308 i threw together this weekend.

2. sota

sota Full Access Member

i'm tempted to get that, but I'm too poor.

3. CherokeeLiberty

CherokeeLiberty Full Access Member

Mine is the standard Blackhawk, but it's the 50th Anniversary of the 44mag edition. It's a flat top frame, too. 44 dies are next on my list so I can afford to shoot it more. I already have the powder, primers, and casings. I just need some cheap plated bullets for some good plinking loads. I figure I'll be able to load them for 25 cents a piece for plinkers. 50-75 for some earth shakers.

4. Kal-El

Kal-El Full Access Member

I kept my 44 mag lever carbine though... she's just too much damn fun.

5. sota

sota Full Access Member

local dude sold his dad's stash of .50BMG ammo to me for $300.
    99 rounds of 773gr loaded match ammo, dated JUL 2 2002.
    150 rounds of Talon Manufacturing M33 ball dated 05/05.
    estimated 350 rounds of some form of needle sharp boolits.
    estimated 150 rounds of some form of round nosed boolits.
    50 empty cases.
    30 rounds of "damaged" ammo, all with boolit setback problems.

6. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

Anyone fired a Taurus Titanium .44 mag?

I was looking at one as a bear gun and a guy said he'd fired one once and spent a few minutes recommending anything else.

Looking at all the lightweight "big bangs" on the theory it'll stay home if it's heavy.

7. sota

sota Full Access Member

big cartridges mean you want a big gun, no matter what.
    my most evil hand gun I own, to shoot that is, is my smallest and lightest; S&W 442. shooting .38spl +P is an exercise in gun control if you even THINK about not running that thing like the rabid honey badger it is, it'll bite your hand off and make you run home crying to momma. on the other end of the spectrum my S&W 686 6" shooting the same loads is a pussy cat, purring and rolling over to expose it's belly for some tummy rubs.

8. cplchris

cplchris Full Access Member

here i am trying to save money and everyone is talking about big calibers. I'm feeling left out and i think i need to join the club, so what's it gunna be? .458socom? .450 bushmaster, .338 federal? .338LM? decisions, decisions...currently the biggest stuff i have is .308 and 12 ga

9. ltd02

ltd02 Comfortably numb KJ Supporting Member

My friend had a .444 Marlin lever action carbine. That was probably 35 years ago. My shoulder still hurts.

10. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

Did you use the right end?

11. ltd02

ltd02 Comfortably numb KJ Supporting Member

I'm starting to wonder...

That gun was a beast. Not exactly built for long range though. :gr_grin:

12. sota

sota Full Access Member

you talking about a gun, or my wife. :blah:

13. CherokeeLiberty

I bought a Rossi (Taurus) 351 38sp yesterday. Normally, I'd turn my nose up at most any Taurus, but this gun has some history behind it. I work at a dealer, and we had this nutjob of a customer who came and bought guns from us for years. He's paranoid, stuck up, the kind of person you really don't want to sell a gun to. He always got delayed but proceeded within a day.

He got into a legal dispute with his neighbor this summer and the hearing didn't go his way. So instead of paying his fines like a normal person, he waited outside to talk to the judge afterwards. He ended up shoving the judge, was immediately arrested, and was put under a 72hr psych evaluation. While he was there, all of his guns were confiscated. He had 112. He and his attourney were able to make a deal to sell everything to us, so we bought the lot.

Needless to say, many people wanted one of these guns, whether it was a customerswho looked at one of these guns in the past and missed out, or an employee who just wanted one for the heck of it. I'm one of the latter, but the reviews for the 351 seemed good and the price was right. Looks like my airweight j frame has a big brother, now.

14. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

This sentence makes me wonder why you did continue to sell him guns. A little discretion isn't a bad thing. JMHO.

15. CherokeeLiberty

I never actually did, and I was not working firearms until the whole ordeal started. Management told us we needed to continue selling him guns unless we actually heard him talk about commiting a crime or was denied on a background check. Something about a big box store not getting sued.

I agree, though. I wish we could have done it long ago.

16. sota

sota Full Access Member

You can't deny someone their rights just because they're an *******. Always remember:
    Dangerous Freedom is preferable to Peaceful Slavery.

17. CherokeeLiberty

Agreed. Liberty is scary. But when you assault a judge after losing a hearing, something is going to happen.

To clarify on my last comment of wishing we could have tossed him out before, it's because one of our guys was helping him and he made a comment about shooting his ex wife. This was obviously a joke, but my coworker took it seriously and reported it up the chain. Since he was the only one to hear this comment, he's the only one who can refuse a sale to this customer. The rest of us would have proceeded and let NICS do the denying.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  18. sota

sota Full Access Member

No once he put hands on the judge it was over, I agree.
    Joking about shooting his ex... there's a whole lot of things I can agree and disagree on how corp handled it, and why.

Freedom is messy.

19. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

Refusing to sell does not impinge on his 2A. He has the right to take his business elsewhere. My local gunshop guy has spoken of refusing the occasional sale based on a customer's words, actions, or "bad vibe."

20. sota

sota Full Access Member

The messy part of all of this is, I both agree and disagree with you. :D

He certainly could go to another establishment to purchase.
    I support a business having the "right" to refuse service based on words, actions or "bad vibe." To deny tens, hundreds, thousands, if not millions of years of evolution that has given us the ability to "sense" when something is "off" and to act in self preservation on that, would be foolish.
    However, since we live in a world where the justice system says a man has to make a cake with dicks on it, even if he doesn't want to, or else he'll be put out of business by the State... how do we reconcile those two positions.
    Could he be refused sale of a firearm if he were black? Jewish? Muslim (looking or proclaimed)? And the sales guy could articulate reasons, regardless if your or my judgement of them was "reasonable"?
    What if his "best friend" were with him and helping guide him through the process of selection and purchasing his first firearm? Would you deny sale based on belief that it could be a straw purchase in action? (This latter one would be me, and no my sales guy didn't think it, but at least one other counter guy was giving us "the look" that as I later determined was concern for it being a straw purchase. It wasn't until my friend produced his FID card that the look stopped.)

Like I said, it's messy. Trying to balance "safety" with Freedom always is.