The official "Gun Nut" thread.....

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by SurfGuitar141, Nov 24, 2010.

1. sota

sota Full Access Member

How to Pair Barrel Twist Rates with Bullets - Guns & Ammo

I think there's a lot of noise out there, obscuring the signal that is viable information as to what twist to get. One thing I do know is, the total rifle package is somewhat sensitive to what bullet(s) will shoot accurately with it, so expect some personal testing time to be needed.

I have a couple 1:7 5.56 NATO barreled rifles, and a couple 1:8 .223 Wylde barrels. Once I get off my duff and go spend some time at the rifle range, I'll report my findings.

2. Kal-El

Kal-El Full Access Member

I would be interested in those results...

3. LONGJEEPOWNER

LONGJEEPOWNER Full Access Member

I agree there is a lot of articles out there on twist rate and bullet weight. Like SOTA said, range time with that particular rifle will show the results. I have a few with different twist rates and barrel lengths and each one is has it's own results.

4. sota

sota Full Access Member

I think one of the biggest misconceptions people have, including gun people, is that guns are more or less laser-like in their accuracy. The truth is, they're not. Every firearm has variations that create a unique "ideal" bullet for accuracy. Variations in primers, case material, powder burn rate, bullet type and construction, ambient and firearm temperatures, and all kinds of other quirks too numerous to mention, all have an effect on how the actual projectile reacts to being shoved down the barrel.

Case in point: Freedom Munitions 147gr subsonic brass cased ammunition, out of an H&K P30 9mm and Beretta 92G. At ambient indoor range temperatures below 50*F and a range of 10 meters, this bullet will out of the P30 consistently pattern slightly low of POA with a grouping within my general accuracy capacity, but will keyhole badly out of the 92G and be all over the place. The Beretta has a longer barrel though, so you'd think there'd be more speed at the muzzle and therefore more spin. Both have a 1 in 10" twist rate. The P30 barrel is polygonal, whereas the Beretta has a traditional land-grove barrel.

So while the vast majority of ammo out there will work in just about any firearm, there's definitely flavors out there your specific firearm will favor over others.

5. Akley88

Akley88 Full Access Member

thats why some people will spend forever developing the most accurate hands loads as possible.

6. sota

sota Full Access Member

When it comes time to build my killer accurate get-the-****-out-of-my-county long range gun, I'll learn the arts of reloading to do exactly that.

7. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

I have a good friend that is into the whole precision rifle thing. He has a fully tricked out Ruger in 6.5 Creed. that he hand-loads for.
    He's that guy you see at the range with a spotting scope, chronograph, and several boxes of cartridges that he is hand-feeding after each round. He is now complaining that there are no ranges nearby that are longer than 500 meters.
    It's a totally different art and requires more patience and meticulousness than I possess.

8. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

Eye can't see that far.

9. Akley88

my normal range is 100 yards since that basically avg shot for hunting. i have another near me that i want to join thats 300 and there is one thats a 1000 yards but impossible to get into unless you know someone and are already on the waiting list. although there are also a few places on public land that we could shoot 400-800 yards. i only reload ammo to save some money in the long run for the less common rounds i shoot.

10. LONGJEEPOWNER

LONGJEEPOWNER Full Access Member

The longest public range near me is 200 yards. I have a private range but only at 100 yards.
    The deer I shot last year was ranged at 135 yards with my .35 rem and that I thought was a little too far for my Marlin but the rack was nice and the tenderloins even better..

11. Leeann

Leeann Full Access Member

Near us (and I mean 1¼ hrs away) is a 500 yd range. The only one I know of, actually.

12. Jo6pak

There is a 600 yard range about 1.5 hour north of me. That's where by friend has been shooting lately

My usual range is 100 yards, another I frequent has a 200 yards range.
    Most of my shooting is defensive pistol work at 7-15 yards.
    A buddies farm is where we do our "run and gun" 2-gun shoots; where we are shooting the rifles mostly 40-100 yards and a few spots we can get out to 225...at least until the corn gets too high.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  13. Jo6pak

Taking a break from loading mags and prepping for a 2-gun (2gacm "lite" style) shoot we are doing Saturday.

Two stages for the K2, one stage for the CZ75, and two combos stages.

Forecast temps of near 100... guess I'll be packing lots of ice and water also.

I don't care if I look stupid wearing knee pads with shorts.... or maybe I'll wear the kilt:gr_grin:

14. Akley88

im jealous. with the new born i havent been to the range in like 3 months and i have like 5 new guns i havent been able to shoot.

15. Jo6pak

Changed the start time from 12 noon to 8am. Hopefully we'll have the stages pretty much complete by early afternoon.

16. Kal-El

Kal-El Full Access Member

I haven't shot a single round of anything in almost two years. No wonder I have this damn twitch...

17. Akley88

i have 2 twitches going on. havent shot my new guns plus im waiting on a new upper to come in for another new gun but was told it could be up to another 10 weeks.:favorites68:

18. Leeann

We went Tues evening for a little bit, to sight in the scope my husband put on the bolt-action, tube-fed .22 he got from his uncle (uncle moved into a retirement community where guns and ammunition are NOT allowed - and they inspect).

His uncle was on both the Army rifle team and the Army boxing team - he went to the finals of the Golden Glove - and he said he thought that rifle was rather accurate.

From 50 yards with only one set of adjustments to the scope (that's 12 rounds):
    [​IMG]

19. sota

sota Full Access Member

think you need 2 clicks down and 1 click left. :D

Otherwise, goddamn girl! you run that gun!

also, that's some impressive ammo you used. share the brand/model.

20. Leeann

That wasn’t me, though I wish it was. That’s our nephew, a county cop.

And you’re gonna laugh - hard - when I tell you what ammo.

Armscorp 36 gr hollowpoint .22

Western Auto Revelation copy of the Marlin 81.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018