The official "Gun Nut" thread.....

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by SurfGuitar141, Nov 24, 2010.

1. SurfGuitar141

SurfGuitar141 Full Access Member

I know we've got a few floating around KJ Country, so I figured we needed our own special place to talk guns......:hunter: :biggun: :gunner:

So to start things off......

I'm presently shopping for a new 9mm. Our range has a couple of steel plate racks that I really enjoy shooting. Range rules dictate we shoot any steel targets with a center fire gun only, this is because with some of these plates, .22's tend to bounce off and back at the firing line.
    I don't like beating up my Limited Edition Kimber Target Match 1911, or my custom reloaded match grade ammo on the steel, as I'd prefer to save both gun and ammo for our matches. Because of this I want to get another center fire handgun that's cheap to shoot, and right now nothing is cheaper than 9mm.
    I've got my choices narrowed down to either the Beretta 92FS, or FN's FNP-9, with a third possible choice being a Springfield XD-9.
    In the past I had a Beretta 96FS...(.40 S&W version of the 92FS)...loved the gun, didn't care for the caliber of ammo, it's fine for police work, but really isn't my cup of tea for range play and pistol matches. Wouldn't mind having that gun again in 9mm. The FNP-9 gets rave reviews from both the gun writers and those who own & shoot them, I prefer metal guns over plastic, don't have anything against plastic guns, as I've owned a couple in the past, just prefer metal one's......

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions from other gun nuts.......

2. KYLiberty

KYLiberty Full Access Member

I really like my FN's. If you're thinking about the FNP-9, I'd suggest that you take a look at the FNX-9. It has the low bore axis like the FNP 45 Tactical (one of my favorites) so you have less recoil and better control. It also has 4 backstraps instead of 2 so you customize the grip better to suit your needs.

3. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

My suggestion, and I may be a bit biased, is to check out a CZ75.

I've owned a Glock 22, HK USP40, Several M1911 types, Walther P99, and the CZ puts them all outside the X ring....so to speak.

And it is also the most inexpensive.
    I'm not a fan of either the Beretta or the FN. It's a personal choice, but the Berrette feels too chunky and the FNs controls are small and hard to negotiate with gloved hands.

There are several different models of the CZ75; SA only, SA/DA, Steel or alloy frames. They generally can be found cheaper than the two you've mentioned also.

Whatever you choose, have fun.

4. LibertyOrDeath

LibertyOrDeath Full Access Member

I would recommend either a Heckler & Koch, Glock or Smith & Wesson M&P series. I have only heard good things about the Fabrique Nationale and Springfield XD & XDm but I have never shot one. On a side note FN makes the M240 and M249 SAW.

I must say that the M9 is my least favorite pistol of all of the ones that I have shot.

My current carry, Gen4 Glock 17
    [​IMG]

Smith & Wesson M&P9c.
    [​IMG]

Disassembled Smith & Wesson M&P9
    [​IMG]

5. SurfGuitar141

I would prefer the FNX-9, but New Jersey has a 10 round mag limit, and as of now FN is not offering the FNX-9 with a 10 round mag, that's why I'm considering the FNP-9 since it is available with a 10 round mag.

Like I said, I had the Beretta 96FS, I really liked that gun, especially for what I want it for....(strictly range work, as there's currently no CCW here).....I just didn't like the .40 S&W round.....and I prefer metal guns over plastic, but if FN offered the FNX for Jersey, I'd definitely go for one of those.....

6. KYLiberty

Low capacity mags only sucks. You may have to move to KY. You can 100 round drums here.

Oh, back on topic a little more, since you don't like beating up your Limited Edition Kimber, have you thought about something like the Tactical Pro II in a 9mm with 9 round capacity? Don't know if that is anywhere near the price range you want to be in for this gun though.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  7. SurfGuitar141

I was looking at the 9mm Kimbers last night online, the prices all run from $950.00 on up.....I'm looking to keep it under $600.00, $500.00 if I have to buy extra mags and a new holster for it.
    I even looked at the Springfield Loaded 9mm's and their prices are up there, but that's based on manufacturer's MSRP, they usually sell for a lot less at the gun shop, just how much less would determine if I can swing it or not.....

I'd even consider a Browning Hi-Power if the right deal came along, but for now it looks like the Beretta 92FS or 92A1 will probably be the route I go.....I prefer metal guns, I already know how the gun is going to feel in my hands having had the 96FS before, they're easy to clean and maintain, and there's multiple sources of spare parts out there for them should it develop any issues.....

8. SurfGuitar141

Seems two of the area gun shops carry the Beretta 92's, one has an M9 in the cabinet, the other has a few coming in this week.....both are quoting prices at or around $650.00 N.I.B......

Here's a couple shots of my Kimber for your viewing enjoyment.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. KYLiberty

10. SurfGuitar141

The cost of being an FFL in New Jersey is beyond belief, besides the cost to keep up your FFL with the fed's, the state nails these guys with licensing fees for everything. The one shop I used to deal with used to discount pretty good, but anymore his prices are just as high as every other shop, and the over all cost for a gun here can sometimes run at or above MSRP. These guys really do have a much higher overhead than dealers in most other states. The anti gun democrats here would love nothing more than to run them all out of business, the one's that survive are the bigger stores that sell a large line of hunting & work clothes, boots, gloves, hats, archery, and other accessories. Few if any stock powder, primers & bullet heads since the cost to do so is even higher......

There's a class action suit against the state right now over many of their draconian gun laws, focused mainly towards their "Justifiable Need" clause in the CCW law. One state senator from my district is pushing a new "shall Issue" CCW law, and there were election promises from our new republican governor concerning the anti gun laws here, but as yet he's been too busy priming himself for a run as president, and ripping the pensions & benefits away from cops, firemen and teachers, so who knows if it'll ever improve.....:shrug:

11. SurfGuitar141

Think I might consider a completely different approach to my next gun purchase.....
    Sooner or later I'll probably get a Beretta 92 of some sort, but if I can score one of these distributor exclusive Ruger 4" GP-100 Royal Phoenix .357 Magnums from Lipsey's, I'm all over it........

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUGP141P&mfg=Ruger&family=GP100%20Series&model=GP100&type=Revolver&caliber=357%20Magnum%20|%2038%20Special&action=Double%20%2F%20Single%20Action&finish=High%20Polish%20Blue&stock=Wood

12. WEilers

WEilers New Member

I have both a Beretta 92 FS and a Glock 19, both of which I bought new in 2005 when I still lived in New Orleans. I used the Beretta for the house and the Glock as my carry gun. I spent eight days in the city after Katrina and carried both the whole time. No, I didn't have to shoot anybody. The Beretta is one of the last models of the Brady Era; the Glock is a third generation and one of the first of the Post Brady Era.

Of both guns, I've put around 5,000 rounds through the Beretta and about 2,000 through the Glock. After the storm, I came up to PA where I've lived for about five years now. I've been a competitive shooter for most of my life. I've done just about every handgun discipline (NRA, USAS, and USPSA) conceivable. I've been down to the Accokeek factory and gone over specifics with the Beretta about the effects of how these weapons behave before and after exposure to the type of 'water' I walked in (and thus exposed the weapon to) following the storm.

Over the years, I've also had the opportunity to spend time with Glock armorers, long-time users, Glock salespeople, people who have used them in different environments, etc. Earlier this year, I volunteered at my home range as an official for the PA Steel Challenge Championship. I've watched competitors use the whole range of handguns: by now, I've seen them all.

With all of that said, here are some things I've learned over the years. First and foremost: IF you are to compete in ANY firearms discipline, you practice as you intend to compete. You're not just practicing hitting the target, you're practicing competiton: from the time you show up to competition to the time you leave, everything needs to be as identical as you can make it. You practice with the same gun, caliber, the same sight pattern, the same make and ammo load, the same draw technique. When you've got a good routine, you stick with it.

Second, the best match shooters, regardless of discipline, stick to as few subcategories as possible. From what I've seen and experienced over the years, most people who show up to compete in the same course of fire in different categories aren't going to do well in either. If you want to do two different classes, do them within a separate practice and competion cycle. Think of shooting in the same way you think of your Liberty: after sticking with a Liberty, you think you're going to get behind the seat of a Civic...?

I think I've said what I think you should know before buying a 9x19 for competiton. For metal 9mms, I'd personally stay from Sig Sauers. Sig Sauer makes some quality guns, but they're difficult to learn. Federal agencies typically get two types of agent: one with zero (or near zero) shooting knowledge, or one who comes over from another agency and knows how to shoot well. At their academy, they have a week (or two) to teach the agents everything there is to know about the Sig Sauer, including a couple hundred rounds a day. By the time it's all over, the agent knows how to use the Sig Sauer (including that damn decocking lever...don't get me started) like its second nature. The subsequent state and bigger local agencies who eventually get these agents don't want to reteach, so they just adopt the Sig Sauer.

When I worked Steel Challenge earlier this year, I saw a great deal of the S&W M&P class weapons, modified and stock. I think that the new Performance Center class of weapon for competition is light-years better than the original 41s, 39, and the 5900 class of 9mm. In terms of competition, I believe that the S&W Performance Center shop can build you the best gun around....for Open Class and NRA Bullseye. If I were responsible for supplying a law enforcement agency with a new sidearm and had a 'Buy-American' provision to consider, I'd opt for the S&W M&P.

One short statement about polymers, their clones, variants, and the like. I own a Glock 19. Anything else made or imported by an annoymous company in Genesco, Illinois, using a venerable and respected name, to give credence to an inferior product...is on the same level as calling a vehicle NOT assembled at a plant in Toledo, Ohio a Jeep.

We're down to two real choices: the Beretta 92 and one you probably haven't considered: the CZ 75. You know the Beretta 92, it's well engineered and well made: it is, in my opinion, a great choice if shooting steel with a 9mm won't go much farther than local production class. Beretta goes out of its way for people in locales where magazine restrictions are in place. FYI: Brownell's is now carrying factory Beretta parts.

About the CZ 75: it was developed back in the 1970s by CZ design bureau in what is now the Czech Republic. The CZ 75 is the basis for the Sphinx and the Tanfoglio T and TZ class: the Jericho, the Baby Eagle, and the EAA Witness. CZ and EAA (Tanfoglio's importer) have been with IPSC and action shooting almost since the beginning. In the hand it feels a lot like a DA 1911.

In the absence of the availability of a new model of either of these at a store (within a reasonable distance), you can purchase online through a couple of places: Gunbroker, Davidson's, Lipsey's, Impact Guns, etc. Of your options, I think Davidson's is probably going to offer you the best overall experience. They've got affiliated shops everywhere, they have the volume buying power, and they're the most capable of knowing what can (and can't) be sold in your jurisdiction.

I know I've given you a lot of information, but I've got a little bit of experience in the field. It's an opinion like any other and ultimately the decision is up to you. I hope I've helped you towards a better decision.

13. SurfGuitar141

Definitely going with the 4" Ruger GP-100, waiting on some price quotes on the special edition Royal Phoenix, if it's not too expensive I'll go with that, but if it's too high I'll just get a standard model. I want one that's blued, but all the gun shops around here that do stock GP-100's only get them in stainless.....

14. Jo6pak

My nightstand gun is a GP100 6" .357 in stainless. I've had it for more than 10 years (probably closer to 15.)

Only issue was the terrible trigger, but it has smoothed a bit over the years. It has been flawlessly durable, but I mostly shoot .38s at the range, cause I'm a cheap bastard:icon_cool:

15. SurfGuitar141

A few years ago I had a 6" GP-100, what I did was get the Wolfe Spring kit for it. The lightest spring caused a problem with light primer strikes, so I went with the next heavier spring, and that cured the problem. The new spring made the DA trigger pull far more tolerable, and the SA pull was as close to a worn in S&W as the Ruger could hope to get.
    The thing with the Ruger GP-100 is, you don't really get it for the smooth and easy trigger pull, you get it because it's built like a tank, durable beyond what any S&W revolver could ever be, strong enough to withstand a steady diet of hot ammunition, and accurate as an old Colt Python......

16. Jo6pak

Yeah and at half the price of a Smith and a quarter the price of a Colt:waytogo:

The deciding factor for my GP was the grip shape. I've always found the S&W grips feeling too narrow for my hands. The balance of the full lug 6" GP is also better, IMO, than any other revolver.

17. IvaKJ2

IvaKJ2 Full Access Member

there's always hi-point..polymer slides and frames and affordable in all the popular calibers.

Me, I do blackpowder (muzzleloaders). my current collection is a Lyman Great plains 50 cal in left handed flint and pitol also 50 cal single shot cap.

and one old remminton .22 model 550-1 semi-auto that was my dads that's older than I am.

18. twack

twack Full Access Member

haha im thinking about picking up a hi point 9mm just because they are so damn cheap i wont care anything that happens to it

19. RedKJ04

RedKJ04 Full Access Member

Friend of mine has one. Great shooting gun but ugly as sin:freak3: Still well worth the investment considering price and how well it works. Plus lifetime warranty! Can't beat that!

20. KYLiberty

Finally finished building this one. It started as a stripped DoubleStar lower. It has a DoubleStar lower parts kit upgraded with a 3 lb Timney competition trigger. The grip is a Falcon Ergo Tactical Deluxe Sure Grip. The stock is an Ace Skeleton stock with an Enidine hydraulic recoil buffer. The upper is a Yankee Hill Machine chrome lined, fluted, 5.56 20" Lightweight Rifle with a 1 in 7" twist. The vertical grip / bipod is a military model Grip Pod. I have lots of magazines for the AR-15's, but I think the 100 round Beta C mag looks pretty cool on it. The scope that just came in today is a Leatherwood M-1000 A.R.T. (Automatic Ranging and Trajectory).

I'll be sighting it and breaking it in this weekend. Gonna be cold, but worth it.

[​IMG]