The money pit strikes again....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was replacing my rear brakes today and noticed both sides of the rear axle have lateral play in them. Anyone seen this? The driver side has about 1/16" play and the passenger side has about 1/8". Would I be safe to assume it's just the axle shafts or would that mean the whole diff needs rebuilding? I wanted to put 4:10 gears in eventually but this is a bad time. Just shelled out a couple grand for the kids and my mom to fly to Ohio this weekend for a family reunion. :pp:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Due to the design of the rear axles ( C clip holding axles in) you'll have some in and out movement

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Due to the design of the rear axles ( C clip holding axles in) you'll have some in and out movement

If I remember right that spec is around 0.012"-0.020" which is alot less then 1/16"-1/8".

Could be worn side gears,side gear thrust washers,axles(c-clip groove),or c-clips.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the insight. I've never noticed it before but this is the first time I've done the brakes on it. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now and see if it gets worse or not. Don't really have any other choice unfortunately. However, for the last couple of months, I've been hearing some creaking and popping coming from something in the rear while I'm backing up. Doesn't do it at all when driving forward. You think that would be related or another clue as to what's going on? I thought it was the brakes which is why I replaced them, but it's still doing it after replacing them.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the u joints on the rear drive shaft. That's one think I would check.