The Eyes of Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my project names.

So behold. "The Eyes of Liberty"

I dont want to write much since pictures say more.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is the OLD HU and it is for sale if anyone is interested in it. It works fine, but I upgraded for obvious reasons.

More wires than a dead cow.

Trial Fitting without the wire harness attached.

Wires to the hidaway unit.

Everything connected and ready to go in.

Hmmmmm.... I realized this was not going to fit...

An hour and a half later, all wires tucked away.

Moving on to hook up the hideaway unit and test the HU.

Deck completely installed and in its final resting place in the dash.

Its alive!!!

Watching a DVD while driving, ignoring laws and bypassing hardware hinderances.

This unit is the AVH-P7600DVD
Specs are on www.pioneerelectronics.com

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great!

One thing though... I didn't realize dead cows had wires? ;)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool, but wayyyy too much cables for me to fiddle around!

Do you still have the steering wheel mounted controls operating?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Very cool, but wayyyy too much cables for me to fiddle around!

Do you still have the steering wheel mounted controls operating?

Unfortunately I did not have steering wheel controls to begin with, but if I did, no they would not work.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know they had speed control without steering wheel mounted audio controls, it looks very nice. How long did it take you to complete it?

And, get rid of OEM carpets, get yourself nice slush mats since you are in water so much :)

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I didn't know they had speed control without steering wheel mounted audio controls, it looks very nice. How long did it take you to complete it?

Removal of old HU - 15 min

Prepping new HU in old dash kit - 15 min

Attaching new wire harness to factory adapter - 25 min

Bypassing Parking Brake lock out - 20 min

Installing new HU to dash - 10 min

Moving wires around so AC/Heat control panel would fit - 1 hour 30 min

Running wires for hideaway unit - 30 min

Fastening and connecting hideaway unit - 10 min

Grand total of install time (not counting breaks to get the *$#% out of the sun, or to get parts)
3 hours 35 minutes

hyedipin said:
And, get rid of OEM carpets, get yourself nice slush mats since you are in water so much :)
God knows I need em. I'll deffinetly pick up a set before winter comes.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If i buy something like this, (OR if someone would buy me one for my bday.. =P~ ) would I have to change the stock speakers? I am not planning on getting a dvd unit, but a regular mp3 unit would be fine..

Would stock speakers handle it ? what do I have to watch out for..
thanks.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
If i buy something like this, (OR if someone would buy me one for my bday.. =P~ ) would I have to change the stock speakers? I am not planning on getting a dvd unit, but a regular mp3 unit would be fine..

Would stock speakers handle it ? what do I have to watch out for..
thanks.

I am just as amazed saying this as you are going to be hearing it...

But I can turn the volume to 100% and have ZERO distortion.

This statement may seem to discredit the quality of my ears but as a comparison:

My last HU could push up to about 80% power before I got "noticable" distortion.

They both run at the same RMS per speaker, the only difference being a much cleaner system sending out the signal.

Also for sake of reference I would like to state that this head unit came with Ground cables in excess of 36" in length. For both the HU and the hideaway.

I believe that this is the best HU I have ever heard in my life. The sound produced make you want to hug random people around you and proclaim the wonders of life.

Oh and I have the stock spaekers. I would think replacing the speakers wont really be necessary unless you want to re amp the speakers.

Keeping in mind that the stock amps are what power your speakers.

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old HU

Lots of wires but i think its easier than one might guess at first glance. What happened to your old HU? Is it still up for sale and how much would it cost?

aychamo

Reaction score
if you *did* have steering wheel controls (volume, etc), is there anyway to keep them w/ an aftermarket head unit?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aychamo said:
if you *did* have steering wheel controls (volume, etc), is there anyway to keep them w/ an aftermarket head unit?

Absolutely no way to reuse them.

Unless you are a programmer and an electrical engineer, then you may be able to design and program something.

Or you called pioneer/other brand direct and asked them to make something just for you.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Old HU

ender00 said:
Lots of wires but i think its easier than one might guess at first glance. What happened to your old HU? Is it still up for sale and how much would it cost?

$100 Shipped for free (to contiguous states only)
Pay-pal only
Price non-negotiable, comes in factory box with manual, accessories and harness with has been used twice but has enough wire to be installed in at least three more vehicles, and wire can always be lengthened.

I gaurantee it works and as of about two weeks ago there is evidence just from my video SPL tests that it is a good functioning HU.

Its a great entry level / moderately advanced HU and I love it to death.

As far as my wiring, If I did it again it would only take about 30 mintues, but what took me so long was all the trial and error for good fitting locations, that also needed to be convenient for the location of the hidaway as well.

sqliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice job, you gotta love the flip out DVD players enen though they are a pain to put in. Mine too a long time too.

aychamo

Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
aychamo said:

Unless you are a programmer and an electrical engineer, then you may be able to design and program something.

Or you called pioneer/other brand direct and asked them to make something just for you.

Ahh... that *****! This is my first vehicle with steering wheel controls! I don't want to lose them:)

claudio

Reaction score
You CAN reuse your stock steering controls, i have a pioneer HU and a steering control interface, so i have the steering control over my non oem HU \:D/ the interfce convert the signal from the steering to infrared beam.

Nice install, i ordered a AVH-P5700, i can't wait!! you have an important part missing on the installation images, where did you put the hide away unit? and how do you get ride of the cables ? and did you put a switch for the HU thinks you are on brake so you can see DVD while driving?

thanks

Claudio

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aychamo said:
jfortier777 said:
aychamo said:

Ahh... that *****! This is my first vehicle with steering wheel controls! I don't want to lose them:)

You can get a PAC SWI-X which should let you keep your steering wheel controls.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
claudio said:
You CAN reuse your stock steering controls, i have a pioneer HU and a steering control interface, so i have the steering control over my non oem HU \:D/ the interfce convert the signal from the steering to infrared beam.

Nice install, i ordered a AVH-P5700, i can't wait!! you have an important part missing on the installation images, where did you put the hide away unit? and how do you get ride of the cables ? and did you put a switch for the HU thinks you are on brake so you can see DVD while driving?

thanks

Claudio

I am a real lazy @$$ when it comes to revisting things for pictures, since I didnt finish the hideaway til the next day I never took pictures of it. (But of course its still there so I can now.)

As far as the parking brake bypass, its nothing less than awsome the way I did it.

I will take some pictures while I am cleaning the jeep today. They will be up this evening!