The damn sensors...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nicole

Reaction score
Ok, so I’m having issues with the Jeep. 08 liberty with 181k miles on it. Runs great.. well has been up until about a month and a half ago. Check engine light came on and then my ABS light, followed by my accelerator light (light bolt in between backwards parentheses). Replaced the camshaft sensor, the accelerator sensor and another sensor on top of the motor that connects the airflow tube thing (sorry the words are not coming to me right now). Worked fine for a few days and then the same thing happened again. I’ll shut off the engine give it a few minutes and restart and it’s fine, except the engine light still stays on. Went ahead and re-replaced the camshaft sensor with another new one. Check engine light still comes on. Anyone have this happen before and if so, what was the fix for it? Thanks a bunch in advance for the help!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Always recommended when replacing sensors to use Mopar sensors. Did you use Mopar or aftermarket ones?
When engine light is on there will be a stored code/(s). Using an obd2 reader can you post the code numbers please.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your ABS wheel sensors, and wiring. The ABS is connected to many other systems, including cruise control, and will throw check lights.
Also, I agree with ^^^^ Mopar electronic sensors only.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ideally you need to get the stored codes read out with an obd2 reader or at the Agents.

Could be an ABS/ESP error so the sensors on the wheels need to be checked as stated above...a bad Clock-Spring can also cause problems with ESP. You need to decode the stored codes.

The Engine Light coming ON will usually store a code. Sometimes after the problem has been fixed this Engine Light stays ON for a few days of start/stop driving until the PCM is happy that the problem really has been fixed and turns the light OFF!

I have had several problems where the Engine Light came ON and only went OFF a few days after the problem was fixed.

The Lightning Bolt Lamp can come ON if you drive with one foot resting on the brake pedal while the other foot is operating the throttle pedal!;)