The Chrome Letters...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I'm driving around I notice few Liberty's have chrome missing on the letters that are on the hood and tailgate or you can see it flapping in the wind because it’s peeling off. I started thinking... I don’t want that to happen to mine. So what can I do to prevent that? My father explained to me that I can use car wax on it to protect it but I’m curious if there is anything else I should do.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I'm driving around I notice few Liberty's have chrome missing on the letters that are on the hood and tailgate or you can see it flapping in the wind because it’s peeling off. I started thinking... I don’t want that to happen to mine. So what can I do to prevent that? My father explained to me that I can use car wax on it to protect it but I’m curious if there is anything else I should do.
The letters are plastic and held on by 3M tape. I don't know anything that will prevent them from peeling, never had it happen to me.

If it does happen to you and the KJ is still under warranty, have the dealer replace it....

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than being scratched to hell by sage brush, mine are still intact but, it's not very old, either.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered some new ones for mine. All of mine are fine, but I'm getting some that just say "KJ". They're supposed to look just like or pretty close to the ones that are on there now. They're chrome plastic emblems with the tape on the back. I'm planning on putting them on the front fender right above the body line next to the front wheel flare thing.

I tried to draw a red circle where I'm talking about, maybe you can see it. Think that's a good place?

You must be registered for see images

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not bad, 06Lib but, I think they'd look better up higher. The top of the letters level with the top of the fender, if that makes any sense.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, I bought 2 sets so I could do the same thing on the other side or I would consider doing that......I don't know, I'll figure something out when I get em....should be tomorrow.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, you probably don't want to go even with the fender. Just noticed that would put them right on the bottom of the antenna and that wouldn't look good. Curious to see how it'll look, myself.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO they should be centered lower down. The antenna on the right side screws up putting them up any higher. I would center them below the antenna and above the door ridge line. Or, on the rear door below the Jeep and 4x4 logos.

Here are two examples. I used some V6 logos that I removed from another vehicle for these pictures, they're not on the Liberty for real....

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's about where I wanna put em, maybe a little lower was my first thought. I'll have to play with it and see before I actually stick them to the Jeep. Thanks for those pics though, that helps me get an idea of what I wanna do.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That V6 one on the back looks good IMHO. Im not all that proud of having a v6 though.. If it was a v8 then I wouldnt mind!

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those pics though, that helps me get an idea of what I wanna do.

You're welcome....

they look kinda like the ones from a suzuki grand vitara.....am I close?

Good catch!!! You know your vehicles or have/had a Suzuki Grand Vitara. It was the wife's daily driver so we tried to save a few $$$ last year, but were not all that happy with it. We traded in a '06 base 2WD GV for the KJ which is a much more sturdy and better built vehicle. The sheetmetal on the GV was like tin and rattles everywhere, but it had a better ride, a stronger engine and better gas mileage....

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That V6 one on the back looks good IMHO. Im not all that proud of having a v6 though.. If it was a v8 then I wouldnt mind!

yeah, v8 hemi...
Everyone has v6 even new honda sedans.... so nothing special to badge about.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, v8 hemi...
Everyone has v6 even new honda sedans.... so nothing special to badge about.

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. I hate the 3.7L badging on the back, too. If you don't have a HEMI or SRT, there is no reason to attempt to brag about it. Even then it is totally egotistical.

The Jeep's emblems are cheap compared to the Charger, too. At least its emblems are chromed metal, not this plasti-paper crap.

If my car had a V8 or 5.7L emblem on it, I would take it off. The HEMI emblems are cool, though, so they stay. I stripped off everything but the Charger logo (replaced it with 1969 Charger Script logo, though) and the R/T emblem (replaced it with the red heritage R/T logo). Door bumper guards, dealer logo, Dodge Ram head, bunch of other useless tacky crap I didn't need that just cluttered up a beautiful car. Then I took the 5.7L V8 shroud off my HEMI because it looked stupid, but the bare engine hidden underneath isn't exactly pretty either. They got lazy trying to make it clean under there and covered it up with a giant slab of plastic. None of these pictures are the slightest bit current, I will need to take some new ones. So much has changed in the 8 months since I took them.

Attachments

• DCP_1161 (Medium).JPG
    DCP_1161 (Medium).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DCP_1163 (Medium).JPG
    DCP_1163 (Medium).JPG
    96 KB · Views: 17

gabegt90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO they should be centered lower down. The antenna on the right side screws up putting them up any higher. I would center them below the antenna and above the door ridge line. Or, on the rear door below the Jeep and 4x4 logos.

Here are two examples. I used some V6 logos that I removed from another vehicle for these pictures, they're not on the Liberty for real....

sweet I like those I wish my mom was more in to moding

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are stickers and the minute some water gets behind the sticker they will discolor. the problem is the letters aren't silver, they are clear so its actually the adhesive discoloring.

Latest posts

Members online