Thank you everyone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spr

Reaction score
I bought my 2002 KJ Sport in Nov. 2019 and it's served me well. tommudd doesn't joke, these KJ's are little tanks. I needed a vehicle while I replaced the motor in my truck and this KJ fit the bill at 132,000 miles and needing a brake line to the rear. I've since driven it 4,400 miles and it's been great.

Unfortunately, the rockers are now 75% gone and the suspension will need a revamp. Considering the rust and repairs, it isn't worth keeping.

Sadly due to MI rust, I doubt I will buy another KJ since most of them around here are rustier than mine.

To close out this ramble, I wanted to thank tommudd and LibertyTC for the great information and for keeping these forums in great shape.

Thank you all for making my time here phenomenal!
Spr

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Would you consider looking for another KJ from non rust belt areas like Arizona, California etc?
We would like you to find a non rusted one and have a solid KJ again ! We don't want you to leave us.

Reactions: Spr

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't Give Up The Ship! :D

Reactions: Spr

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the rockers and the suspension isnt worth getting a new vehicle IMHO. Heck, Im getting ready to replace the rockers and paint one of my other Jeeps thats a lot older than my kj!

Glad you enjoyed it.

Spr

Reaction score
As much as I'd love to have a non-rusty KJ, I don't think I'd take the drive to get one. My 1996 GMC K1500 is my main vehicle and I don't really need two vehicles.
I'm not sure what would happen if I built a non-rusty KJ and something happened to it (like an accident) since insurance probably won't replace it or give me actual value of the KJ. I'm in a similar place with my truck... I absolutely love older vehicles minus the rust and really hope I don't get into any accidents (haven't had any yet, fingers crossed).

As a fresh college grad, I maintain my vehicles better than most but I'm hesitant to put too much into them and potentially lose em.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't need two vehicles ?
Maybe I should reconsider LOL
With 3 KJs , two built and one just mildly built I'm still looking for good 02-05 KJs for my next build ;)

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha. Always room for more @tommudd! :p
In mountain biking (my favorite past time) There's a formula N+1. Simply put even when you have what's necessary, and you never have more than necessary, you should always add one more...N+1. I think that applies here.

Latest posts

Members online