Testing, testing, testing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
You’re in - welcome!
Excellent - & thank you. :)

So why am I here, the other forums I've been with for years don't support KJ's & looking for one I feel comfortable with so, after that false start, hopefully this is the one.

My time is divided between London, England & "The English Riviera" where I keep my 3 (well 2 1/2) XJ's accumulated over must be best part of 10 years now, so I am no stranger to Jeeps - or associated forums - but after a disasterous flirtation with a 4.7 WJ but still looking for something different I settled on an '04 3,7 KJ Limited (still a Cherokee here but I've never bought into that) just before last Christmas. So far I've been quite impressed, there was little wrong with it when I bought it in the 10,000 miles since I've only had to do an oil change (& it's due for another, but I'm putting that off 'til I can find an oil filter wrench that will actually move the thing) deal with a recurring rear brake issue (a vociferous appetite for RH, rear, inner pads) hopefully cured by replacing the caliper & now need to replace the RH front axle shaft, as the CVJ is clonking alarmingly, once a 35mm socket arrives.

Oh yes, & here's a piccie.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 5

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent - & thank you. :)

So why am I here, the other forums I've been with for years don't support KJ's & looking for one I feel comfortable with so, after that false start, hopefully this is the one.

My time is divided between London, England & "The English Riviera" where I keep my 3 (well 2 1/2) XJ's accumulated over must be best part of 10 years now, so I am no stranger to Jeeps - or associated forums - but after a disasterous flirtation with a 4.7 WJ but still looking for something different I settled on an '04 3,7 KJ Limited (still a Cherokee here but I've never bought into that) just before last Christmas. So far I've been quite impressed, there was little wrong with it when I bought it in the 10,000 miles since I've only had to do an oil change (& it's due for another, but I'm putting that off 'til I can find an oil filter wrench that will actually move the thing) deal with a recurring rear brake issue (a vociferous appetite for RH, rear, inner pads) hopefully cured by replacing the caliper & now need to replace the RH front axle shaft, as the CVJ is clonking alarmingly, once a 35mm socket arrives.

Oh yes, & here's a piccie.
Right side CV
watch where you buy one from, some are not the correct length
ALSO always replace the intermediate shaft as well since they both wear the splines

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right side CV
watch where you buy one from, some are not the correct length
ALSO always replace the intermediate shaft as well since they both wear the splines
Thanks for that, whoever would've known? However I grabbed used shaft when it turned up on eBay the evening it started clicking. Unfortunately, I never got round to fitting it (partly because of the recurring rear brake issue) & now I've got no choice - but the job's ground to a halt because, so far, all attempts to remove the 3 hub mounting bolts have failed. I never understood why they used those ridiculous bolts but to reduce the size of the head was courting disaster. Seems I ether keep going, shear the heads off & replace the hub or take the knuckle off & take it to my friendly neighbourhood mechanic & get him to hit with all the resources at his disposal.

Not been put off the KJ completely - but, clearly, the honeymoon is over. :-{

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just changing the CV correct ?
Then why are you removing the hub or is that what is bad ?

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly because I don't know what I'm doing as my only experience has been with SFA Jeeps (although I have replaced CVJ axle shafts on other vehicles with IFS) but assumed the same basic procedure needed to be followed.

I realised almost immediately after my last post that if I removed the knuckle, there would be no need to have the bearing separated, except for future reference. Somewhere between these two paragraphs, it dawned on me that I do have a downloaded FSM & found the relevant section. Now I see why you you were puzzled at what I was doing, or attempting to. All I have to do now is find a socket for that lower ball joint nut.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly because I don't know what I'm doing as my only experience has been with SFA Jeeps (although I have replaced CVJ axle shafts on other vehicles with IFS) but assumed the same basic procedure needed to be followed.

I realised almost immediately after my last post that if I removed the knuckle, there would be no need to have the bearing separated, except for future reference. Somewhere between these two paragraphs, it dawned on me that I do have a downloaded FSM & found the relevant section. Now I see why you you were puzzled at what I was doing, or attempting to. All I have to do now is find a socket for that lower ball joint nut.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
In the future if you have to change the hub/wheel bearing with those E-torx bolts or any other stubborn fastener/nut, if you haven't been using any penetrating oil it's well worth it. If it's hard to order or get some in your area, some atf and a spirit/thinner mix works too.

Bonus if using with heat. Plastics and rubber if nearby doesn't work well with heat, and some areas that you may not want to torch due to what's nearby you can use a heat gun. Even 100-200º can help expand the steel some, and give the oil even more chances to seep in.

You may already do this in practice, but it should be helpful if anyone else is reading and hasn't tried some penetrating oils before.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually you're preaching to the converted, not that you were to know that, & I get your point about reaching a wider (uninitiated?) audience.

My freeing agent of choice is 50:50 ATF/acetone but the trigger pack it's in is too bulky so had to resort to a proprietary one with which I've had considerable success; started dousing the bolt ends as soon as the rotor was off (& the heads once I could locate them).

I'm a late convertee to heat but now completely sold but was actually getting concerned about the bearing getting too hot.

Anyway, on this occasion it seems I was barking up the wrong tree, but I know that if I ever have to replace a bearing, I'll be taking off the old one with an angle grinder! Funny thing is, that XJ's had a reputation in this department - but I never really had much of a problem, an '02 WJ was a right royal PITA & this has proved impossible - & they call it progress ;-)

Latest posts

Members online