Test Drove A CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Saturday I stopped by a Jeep dealer and test drove a CRD. I originally just wanted to hear how it sounded, but I ended up taking it for a spin. It was noticeably louder at startup, and you could smell the diesel (I had the door open). But once you close the door and drive off, it's not much louder then a V6. It just has the slight purr of a diesel... which was fun! It certainly has great get up and go, no less then the V6. A few other things: I'm not sure if it was that it was just cold, but the auto gear shift and the leather seats were a bit stiffer then my '04. Now why did they switch the speed and RPM display? All in all, if I was going to buy a KJ today, it would be the CRD. Especially that it comes standard with Selec-Trac and ABS.

I also took a Wrangler Sport for a spin. The Wrangler was fun to drive.

Jeep are just cool!

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRDs look like a great choice right now with the gas prices being as such. I am glad that you liked it. Were they marking it up from the sticker? I have heard that some dealers are ](*,)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sticker didn't have anything added to it. The salesman did talk it up, but no more then usual, and I think that he was actually excited about it. I actually liked the guy, and I might try him when I'm ready to buy another Jeep. He saw my '04 and I told him up front that I wasn't looking to buy until I privately sold my Honda. I think I'll keep my Honda another year as I'd like to see if the Gladiator ever makes it's way out of being a concept. Plus it's just nice not to have two new car payments for awhile.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, well at least that dealer is not marking them up. =D>

Tork

Reaction score
I got mine for $300 over invoice. The dealer across town was doing a $5000 markup. The thing that I found most interesting is how nimble the CRD feels. As much as a 2 ton vehicle can feel nimble but you can really feel the difference with the torque. I currently own both a gasser and a diesel and am surprised by how sluggish the 3.7 feels after driving the diesel...I filled up at about 3/5's of a tank and calculated 22mpg, mostly stop and go 45mph driving. I starts loud but once warm is relatively quiet. I don't know what the dealer put into it since it was a full tank but I put in some Shell diesel and it was noticebly more quiet than before. This was observed after driving about 3 miles. Overall, I really don't know why anyone would get the 3.7 over the diesel if buying new. Better gas mileage, and more power. However, I haven't wheeled it yet and I did notice the slight turbo lag. I've learned to push the pedal consistently down. If you mash it...it chugs along there for about a second and then LAUNCHES. Very fun. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out on the trails. Hope this helps.

Dave

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tork said:
Overall, I really don't know why anyone would get the 3.7 over the diesel if buying new.
Dave

Because my state sux the big, wet one & won't allow us to have any CRD fun. I hate New York (almost)!! smashfreakB.gif

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHUD said:
Tork said:
Overall, I really don't know why anyone would get the 3.7 over the diesel if buying new.
Dave

Because my state sux the big, wet one & won't allow us to have any CRD fun. I hate New York (almost)!! smashfreakB.gif

Perhaps that will change with the requirements of really low sulphur diesel fuel in the next couple of years. :-k

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took delivery of our new CRD this past Thursday....my wife is grinning from ear to ear. Now we have two oil burners in our stable. The fuel economy is so great, and it's not even broken in yet. She thought she was going to miss the 2002 Liberty Sport 4x4, but she drove off the lot in the new one & never looked back.
Greg

Little Diesel :
You must be registered for see images

Big Diesel :
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online