Tailgate noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcmk24

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this site so be patient with me.I just bought a 2004 liberty and their is a noise coming from the back door near the door latch any help would be great thanks in advance.

Terry

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a rattling/squeaking/creaking? I have a rattling that is still there caused by what was determined to be body flex caused by vibration of the spare tire. We tried a few different ways to fix it and so far have had no luck. Somone on here fixed it through welding the tire mount to the door, but it was very risky and tough to avoid the heat damaging the paint.

Also, welcome to the site. It seems like Canada is becoming pretty popular on here.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is more of a rattling noise.

Ok. That sounds like mine. The best way I discovered to test it was to close the rear door both with and without the spare tire on it. While it will close weird without the tire, it will not rattle, while mine did when the door was supporting weight. For some time, I considered relocating the spare tire to the roof, but decided that was too drastic as I could not afford to make it look decent. I did some searching for you and found these two threads:

This is the less drastic approach:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28112&highlight=rear+door

Expert Only fix:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32835

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to keep a really thick silicone grease around the top of the glass. It has a really hard plastic seal.

The bumpstop could also need to be adjusted.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise

VERY common problem. One of my tabs had broken off of the interior panelling where it fits into the sheet metal around the window latch. I packed it with foam insulation and have no problems now.

Latest posts

Members online