T Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What transfer case do KJs come with? Is it just one? Multiple ones? If so how can you tell what you got?

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002-2007 have the nv242 or nv231. I believe one is command trac and the other is selectrac. The nv number is stamped on them near the t-case fill hole. But you can supposedly also tell by whether or not your 4wheel drive lever has a neutral position instead of a full time 4wd option.

I'm just about to do the fluid change on my 2007 sport 4x4 and I don't have an Allen wrench big enough and need a reference to the size if anyone has it so I can buy it specifically or at least get the set in range.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And from my Google searching the np231 and nv231 are exactly the same just changed the name. How true is this information?

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but posts here say ours is the same tcase jeep has made for wrangler so I can only guess probably.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They say NP stands for new process then they changed to NV new venture. I searched in Google nv231 vs np231 and every wrangler forum said they're the same

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You use a ratchet not a Allen wrench. If I remember its the 1/2” and not the 3/8” try not to use and extension on it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
NV 231 was standard on 4WD KJs, 4 modes: 2WD, 4HI, N and 4LO
NV 242 was an option on 4WD KJs, 5 modes: 2WD, 4 Part Time (4HI), 4 Full Time (like an AWD, good for use on pavement), N, 4LO.

On the back of the transfer case there is a plate stamped on it with all the info you could want. :D

Sdavis82

Reaction score
If you have 231 can you do a straight swap to a 242

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You use a ratchet not a Allen wrench. If I remember its the 1/2” and not the 3/8” try not to use and extension on it.

I use a 10mm Allen wrench. Just be sure the wrench is square in the fitting so the edges don't get rounded off. And take out the fill plug FIRST - makes for a bad afternoon when you drain the fluid then can't get the fill plug out to put fluid back in.

Just makes you want to spit... :manos:

Bob

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang bob gota Check the t-case when I get back home I remember it being a 4 point designed to use a ratchet. Maybe I have it mixed up with the pig plugs. Sounds like my bad.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone I called advance adapters today and going to wait until I get my tcase out and check the spline count on it and the turbo 350 (just to be sure!) Before I place my order on the adapter. But if its the one me and the sales rep think it will be it's gonna run me 450 including shipping. And this way I can keep my stock drive shafts just have to weld motor mounts. Not that hard

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang bob gota Check the t-case when I get back home I remember it being a 4 point designed to use a ratchet. Maybe I have it mixed up with the pig plugs. Sounds like my bad.

No worries!

I use a 3/8" extension on the fill plug for the front diff though - first time I changed the front diff fluid I got really frustrated till I figured out the 3/8 square would work. Kept trying to force an Allen wrench in there :fca5278d:

Bob

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have 231 can you do a straight swap to a 242

If you have an auto transmission you can. I looked in to it a while back but then decided not to after realizing that the 231 is a stronger transfer case.

Sdavis82

Reaction score
If you have an auto transmission you can. I looked in to it a while back but then decided not to after realizing that the 231 is a stronger transfer case.

Thanks. I do have an auto trans. I dont do much off road. The full time 4x4 is easier than explaining to the wife you cant leave it in 4hi till spring lol

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definetly a Allen - not sure what but I'll go wiyj the 10MM. I know it's big and metric.

I just changed mine last week. I'd never bothered to look but all my other 231's had a large hex - 1 3/16 or so. I knew just where it was on the socket rack. Crawled under with it and Damm - they changed it. I was in and out 3 times to get the correct Allen - and a piece of cheater pipe to break it loose.

Not sure if I could tell which Allen it was to be sure for you. Don't get a cheap one, if it was like mine it was tight and a cheapish one will round off. I had to clean out the hole then tapped it in to seat well.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score

Maybe your thinking of the front diff?
Your both right though .. I use a ratchet with a hex socket :D

You must be registered for see images

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6-speed KJ uses yet another t-case... NP241 (just like many fullsize trucks :D )

I think I used a 10mm allen for the t-case plugs.