Swapping to Pre-lowered springs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RATX5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At my local Pick n' Pull, I found a Pre-lowered KJ manufactured in January 02', so I was considering buying the springs to do a bit of a cheap lift. It would end up running me about 70 dollars. I was planning on bringing a battery and alligator clips to feed power to the gauge cluster so I could see how many miles are on the springs (although they could have been replaced.) Relatively soon I'm going to be putting on an aftermarket bumper, so would that possibly negate the amount of lift I would gain from switching to the pre-lowered springs. Aside from that is there anything that I'm possibly overlooking? I searched over at Lost and here, so I apologize if there is already a thread that covered this somewhere.

Edit: Woops, I posted in the KK lift descussion section.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the "Pre-lowered" springs are actually the same spring. I never really got the answer to where the lift came from. I believe my last hypothesis was the clevis. Unless maybe it;s the spring rate? Regardless they are probably toast. Not only mileage that affects it but just sitting on it's wheels for 14 years will bag em and sag em too.

Want minimal front lift? Do a clevis lift and top plate. Want more? Buy a stamped steal clevis off a KK. (I think 2008 or 2009+)

BUT you should probably just replace all springs and shocks :)

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are getting a bumper you should get the proper springs to support it. I see people all the time around me with a plow on the front of there jeep or pick up and the it looks like the vehicle is always taking a noise dive. I would go with the OME set up, I know you are thinking that it will make the jeep ride horribly but it will really improve the handling and ride of your liberty. You should look into the heavy duty front springs and maybe medium duty rear springs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
At my local Pick n' Pull, I found a Pre-lowered KJ manufactured in January 02', so I was considering buying the springs to do a bit of a cheap lift. It would end up running me about 70 dollars. I was planning on bringing a battery and alligator clips to feed power to the gauge cluster so I could see how many miles are on the springs (although they could have been replaced.) Relatively soon I'm going to be putting on an aftermarket bumper, so would that possibly negate the amount of lift I would gain from switching to the pre-lowered springs. Aside from that is there anything that I'm possibly overlooking? I searched over at Lost and here, so I apologize if there is already a thread that covered this somewhere.

Edit: Woops, I posted in the KK lift descussion section.

For one, they are 14 years old, no matter if the KJ had 6 miles on it they would be sagged and not worth removing them.
It would be cheap in a way, but you'd have more in time than what you are going to get out of it.
If going to an aftermarket bumper the stock spring rate of 310 lb will not hold up anyways , you need at the least say for example the OME 927 fronts which are rated at 400 lb.
Been talked about many times over the years but not worth it in the end
Then if they had been replaced they would only be like the after April 12, 2002 anyways

Last edited:

RATX5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't get the answer he wanted to hear I guess

Woops, I typed a reply on my phone and I guess I forgot to post it. I really appreciate the insight, though. I'm probably going to go the route that dude1116 talked about and eventually upgrade to what you and renegade 04 were talking about when my wallet feels like complying, Tom. :p

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Woops, I typed a reply on my phone and I guess I forgot to post it. I really appreciate the insight, though. I'm probably going to go the route that dude1116 talked about and eventually upgrade to what you and renegade 04 were talking about when my wallet feels like complying, Tom. :p

Where are you sitting at now? middle of the wheel in front to bottom of the flare. If anywhere below 18.0-18.5 pretty much a waste of time really.
You may gain a bit right now today , but a month later its going to be where it was before
Plus still have a crappy a** ride

RATX5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you sitting at now? middle of the wheel in front to bottom of the flare. If anywhere below 18.0-18.5 pretty much a waste of time really.
You may gain a bit right now today , but a month later its going to be where it was before
Plus still have a crappy a** ride

Can't measure right now, since the KJ in in the body shop, but I'd imagine somewhere below 18. I'll measure for ***** and giggles once I get it back on wednesday, though.