Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apalomba

Reaction score
Just registered because i was told this was the best place to get good info on liberty's.

So here goes. Ive got a 02 sport 3.7 2wd automatic with blown motor. I also have a 05 with 3.7 2wd automatic that runs great, but totaled. Can i pull motor, trany and engine harness with ecm and drop it in the 02 and be ok?
Thank you

Apalomba

Reaction score
Ive looked at all the post about overview, but my question is with having the motor trans and complete harness would it work? Im pulling the harness and ecm with the motor and trans at the same time. Would i need anything else from the 05 to make the swap? Fuse box in engine compartment? Thanks again

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! All you need from the 2005 is the engine and then you need to swap a few parts from the 2002 engine to the 2005 engine including all the electrical sensors.

Apalomba

Reaction score
Already pulled it as one unit. What parts need to be changed? The crank ring and cam sprocket? I figured with having the haness and computer i wouldn't have to.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to swap out the Powertrain Control Module, then you also need to swap in The Body Control Module and also every computer that has the VIN programmed into it or the jeep will never start.

Apalomba

Reaction score
Drivetrain and bcm swap

If i use everything from the 05 will it work in the 02? Motor trans engine harness bcm anything else?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue you will need to overcome is the vin mismatch problem. this will not allow the jeep to start or pass inspection due to the fact that the vin of the jeep body no longer matching some of the electronics. And you will not have any working gauges either and you need to find a way to swap the 2 engine control modules, as they are completely different.

Last edited:

Apalomba

Reaction score
So with the crank ring and cam sprocket is it that involved? Looks like the cam sprocket is just removing the valve cover. The crank ring idk about.