Suspension replacement parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey D

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the KJ but I want to replace suspension parts. Mine is not low mileage, probably around average for a 2006. Got about 2 1/2 lift. I'm in Minnesota and have seen reports, postings, whatever about various failed parts from corrosion. I just want to replace them all and not worry about it for, well a long time. So I'm seeing parts on Amazon and elsewhere wit , of course , manufacturers boasting about quality and reviews calling the parts junk. Don't trust either really and am wondering what forum members would recommend.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Joey what brand of a 2.5" lift do you have installed? Is is a spacer lift or an OME 927/948 spring lift ?
What failed parts are you most concerned about from corrosion? Springs, Shocks, control arms etc ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes above what suspension lift did you use
spacer or full spring kit ?
The reason why we ask is with a spacer style lift parts wear quicker, and you need the best available
also with a spacer style lift the UCA ball joint takes a beating so an upgrade to JeepinByAl upper control arm is advised
Also if you are searching on Amazon etc. they will show you the cheapest junk there is
One of the Detroit Axle is bad from the get go
Many have installed their LBJs ( for example ) only to have them fail in a few months time
Also depends on how you are going to use your KJ
If like me, I buy quality parts due to driving 90 miles a day and every few weeks 10-11 hour round trip so I don't want to have to worry about cheap parts failing
I also do not care about so called lifetime warranty parts
example buddy thought he would save some money on a radiator. Told me " it has a lifetime warranty , so if fails , so what ? "
Well after 11 replacements in just over a year . he gave up bought a Mopar and no more issues

Remember one thing , Cheap is expensive

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but typically lifetime warranty's mean that there is high confidence in the product (even after figuring a certain percent won't file for a warranty repair). Otherwise, that business will go under with all the warranty callbacks. It's not like home warranties or auto manufacturer warranties where the dealer or insurance company find loopholes to wiggle out of doing the work. In my experience they (RA, etc.) ask few questions and give you a new part.

That said, Mopar products are probably the best. Period. But, they're also very expensive for what they are. So I try to find something that balances warranty with price. Which leads me to...

I've replaced multiple suspensions with Mevotech supreme (lifetime!) parts, moog problem solver parts (sometimes lifetime), and raybestos parts (for brakes, etc.). For suspension I tend to stick with mevotech or moog. For high wear items like control arms, I want a lifetime warranty because even the best part wears out over time and I plan to keep my KJ for a long time and to treat it like a jeep.

Joey D

Reaction score
Joey what brand of a 2.5" lift do you have installed? Is is a spacer lift or an OME 927/948 spring lift ?
What failed parts are you most concerned about from corrosion? Springs, Shocks, control arms etc ?
OME/Bilstein

Joey D

Reaction score
OME/Bilstein
Pretty much everything but especially parts would be really bad if they failed. I've heard about or saw postings of control arms breaking from corrosion. I saw one guy just a couple days ago pulling out of a parking lot at work, don't know what failed but one front wheel looked like it was no longer connected. I was on my way to work and couldn't check out what happened. I just got this last fall immediately had to replace window regulators, front driveshaft, wiper motor, front header, impact absorber, bumper cover, tires, shifter, it's been kind of neglected so I'm a little suspicious pretty much about everything. But it's getting to be how I want it. I'll feel much better knowing the entire suspension is solid.

Joey D

Reaction score
OME/Bilstein
See below, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm already thinking about getting another. This one I got cheap and it's already much better. My son noticed a 2003 liberty renegade 5sp manual and I missed out on it but I think I'm gonna get one later this year. Nothing wrong with having two liberties is there?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Two KJ's in the family is all good, do get them inspected for rust etc..
My 2.5 927/948 lift is quite old now. Springs do rust up a bit, I wire brush them & throw some spay paint on them once a year in May or June.
The guy with the parking lot probably had a lower ball joint break. There was a recall for salt belt jeeps LBJ's and rear lower control arms.
If you have to replace the LbJ, Moog makes them with a zerk/grease fitting, but check recalls first.
Enter you VIN # here to see if you have any outstanding re-calls. https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html
Once a year have the front end inspection done & alignment. The tech should be able to check everything over for you to make sure it is safe.

Joey D

Reaction score
OME/Bilstein
Pretty much everything but especially parts would be really bad if they failed. I've heard about or saw postings of control arms breaking from corrosion. I saw one guy just a couple days ago pulling out of a parking lot, don't know what failed but one front wheel looked like it was no longer connec
Oh another thing about the lift. I ordered OME 2927 springs for the front but my mechanic, who is probably not all that familiar like me for now, with libertie , he put them on said they were really stiff and left stock springs on the front but did install the rears. I still got about 2 1/2 front and rear with the bilsteins and rear springs. I didn't really look into it further yet because it is lifted but I don't get why the front would be higher without the new springs. I thought about getting rid of the front springs but decided to keep them until I know exactly what's going on there and if I still am going to wind up putting them on somehow.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
eeek they never put the 927's in? What shock in front part #? On ground what is the current front measurement, form center of wheel cap to the beginning of fender flare?
front 927 need to be installed /the OEM springs .
Were OME 948 springs used in rear & what bilstein part number?

Joey D

Reaction score
eeek they never put the 927's in? What shock in front part #? On ground what is the current front measurement, form center of wheel cap to the beginning of fender flare?
927 need to be installed the OEM springs are way short compared to OME 927..spring.
927 need to be installed the OEM springs are way short compared to OME 927..spring.
Shocks are bilstein 5100's. I need to talk to him again to make sure I heard him right but I thought that's what he said and I have the 927's.
I'm getting 21" front 21 1/2" rear, does that sound like 2 - 2 1/2 compared to say stock?

Joey D

Reaction score
Shocks are bilstein 5100's. I need to talk to him again to make sure I heard him right but I thought that's what he said and I have the 927's.
I'm getting 21" front 21 1/2" rear, does that sound like 2 - 2 1/2 compared to say stock?
Yep 948 rear, I went with what people here seem to say worked. There was another set of shocks, I just went with these.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First thing I would do is find a new mechanic if he does things like that LOL
As far as the one you saw alongside the road , it was the lower ball joint, happens either when they are plum worn out and come apart
Always use the Moog problem Solvers that are greaseable

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes 2 inches in front , but how ?

Joey D

Reaction score
Yes 2 inches in front , but how ?
I wasn't going to get under there and look around until it gets a little warmer, (no garage, - 9 right now) but I am confused about that one. And the front shocks have a large snap ring on them I wasn't sure what that was for either. Now I'm getting worried /curious. Driving it feels great.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to get under there and look around until it gets a little warmer, (no garage, - 9 right now) but I am confused about that one. And the front shocks have a large snap ring on them I wasn't sure what that was for either. Now I'm getting worried /curious. Driving it feels great.

Hopefully you did not buy those Bilstein adjustable shocks :(
Shocks are not what you use to provide lift, springs are, shocks are to dampen the spring action

Joey D

Reaction score
Hopefully you did not buy those Bilstein adjustable shocks :(
Shocks are not what you use to provide lift, springs are, shocks are to dampen the spring action
I'm not worried about the rear right now. The fonts are adjustable, I think, with that snap ring. Maybe I need the other Bilsteins and then the 927 springs would work? That sounds like it would make sense and explain things.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the rear right now. The fonts are adjustable, I think, with that snap ring. Maybe I need the other Bilsteins and then the 927 springs would work? That sounds like it would make sense and explain things.
Yes !
To do it right the OME 927 springs should of been installed along with Bilstein 24-139168 shocks

Latest posts

Members online