Suspension Overhaul.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm settling down from the jeep bug, I finally have (mostly) a plan for spring time. I want to be able to go through the suspension and fully replace any worn out parts. I would get the OME 1.5 inch lift if funds allow it. What else would be a good thing to change/replace outside of the shocks and springs? It will finally be reaching 100k miles next month. I was thinking about the front sway bar bushings, rear control arm bushings, front lower control arm bushings, front strut clevis bushings and the JBA upper control arms. Would there be anything else to replace or anything I don't have to change yet? Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this thread may not be better suited for the lift section..but anyways..
I would start with the lift. OME 927 front & 948 rear springs, shocks I used Bilstien, but there are other flavors as well. Tear flex bump stops, and get some JBA 4.5 upper control arms to boot, if you want to add top plate spacer & some clevis, then the nose of the Jeep will be pointing the right direction= UP !!. Rear =need to add a couple of isolator spring pads, + 4 hockey pucks for bump stops.
The rear lower control arms were recalled on many KJ's which includes bushings, and free is replacement is always good!
The rear Upper tri-link ball joint will really clunk if it is going south, so do that sort of thing when it need it.
As far as sway bars look at the bushings and see if it really needs them. If they are tight & straight in the bushing and not cracked u should be good 4 a while.
The steering rack bushings should be inspected. Have someone turning the jeep wheel back & forth and see if you have any upwards movement in the two bushings in the rack. Sometimes like mine, u could see the rubber popping outwards of the bolt area, and this is not good. Got new ones in without having to remove the rack.
51215[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

The red things inside the front wheel well are the new JBA control arms.
Has a grease fitting and strong ball joint. This allows for more spring clearance.
The bonus is a better alignment & Sweet Handling!

Attachments

• JeepLiftedJBAUCA.jpg
    JeepLiftedJBAUCA.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 180k and have only changed out the upper arms, lower ball joints, shocks, springs, bumpstops, rear arms under recall and rear trilink ia on its way out (but i have a permanent solution for that)

Give it a good once over as libertytc said

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also inspect both side cvs and then the cvs on the front driveshaft and u joints on the rear. You will be changing angles so things can be unhappy. Both my cvs went at the same time about a year after my lift.

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! This is mostly like support items prior/while getting a lift. The lift is still questionable due to possibly getting a new higher paying job. I'm mostly curious about what else is recommended outside of the lift, suspension wise.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! This is mostly like support items prior/while getting a lift. The lift is still questionable due to possibly getting a new higher paying job. I'm mostly curious about what else is recommended outside of the lift, suspension wise.

after your done lifting, rear u joint is next. Welll it seems to be for most.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had any issues with the CV joints at all, but I did front axle bearings, seals, and int. shaft as they were shot at about 170,000km.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random questions: did JBA stop selling Ironman front shocks? Can't find them... :\ Did the Econo lift change from Iron man to OME (and thus is more expensive)?