Sundance Bumper Replica Group Buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RATX5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I know it says "by our vendors" in the forum description, but I figured this would be the right place, seeing as it is a group buy. If not, I apologize and would ask if this thread could be moved if possible.

Now for the fun stuff! Seeing as Rocklizard no longer makes bumpers and I cannot bring myself to buy an ARB because of how it looks, I figured I'd try an alternate route. I've contacted a few custom bumper fabrication companies, and I've found at least two so far who would be willing to do it. Just putting this out here to see if there would be any interest for a group buy for a first gen KJ Sundance bumper replica group buy. Currently talking with both of the shops, and I'll update this once I get pricing info.

Edit:

Pricing quote from first shop:
I could price them based on quantity. If it is 2ea Price would be $3000 ea 3 ea $2000 4 or more $1200. It costs me $250 for linex so take that off the cost. so $3750 bare metal for 1ea. This would of course be at the same time for multiples.

Pricing quote from the second shop:
To make a quick estimate I was factoring 10 hours at $65/hour, plus $200 in materials ($850 total) for each unit after the first one. The first one was estimated at $1800 so ten units would cost $9450, or an average of $945 each.

I figured I might add this in for those who aren't familiar with the Sundance bumper. I compiled most of the pictures of the bumper in question that I could find into a Photobucket album.
http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/ratx5/library/Sundance Front Bumper?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Firstly, I know it says "by our vendors" in the forum description, but I figured this would be the right place, seeing as it is a group buy. If not, I apologize and would ask if this thread could be moved if possible.

Now for the fun stuff! Seeing as Rocklizard no longer makes bumpers and I cannot bring myself to buy an ARB because of how it looks, I figured I'd try an alternate route. I've contacted a few custom bumper fabrication companies, and I've found at least two so far who would be willing to do it. Just putting this out here to see if there would be any interest for a group buy for a first gen KJ Sundance bumper replica group buy. Currently talking with both of the shops, and I'll update this once I get pricing info.

Good luck
Group buys generally have 50 people at first and by the time it comes to pay up, you may have 2-3
How many do they need to do a custom one off bumper ?
Generally most need at least 10-15 to make it worth while for them at least to take the time to design, make , sell etc
One of the reasons I haven't done another round of rear bumpers, a few say they may buy but need many to make it worth my while
Not trying to downplay your efforts, just a lot of years in this game etc

Last edited:

RATX5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck
Group buys generally have 50 people at first and by the time it comes to pay up, you may have 2-3
How many do they need to do a custom one off bumper ?
Generally most need at least 10-15 to make it worth while for them at least to take the time to design, make , sell etc
One of the reasons I haven't done another round of rear bumpers, a few say they may buy but need many to make it worth my while
Not trying to downplay your efforts, just a lot of years in this game etc

Just updated my original post with the info I got back from the first shop. I totally understand where you are coming from as well, and I appreciate the foresight, Tomm. If you ever happen to do another round of those rear bumpers, I would definitely love to buy one from you, seeing as they are so well priced and are damn good looking.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they can produce ones for 05+ model years as well I'd be interested
That thing looks badass
All except for the stinger/light bar on the top, looks dumb with how sharp the bends are IMO so I'd want one without that
Also I'd want mine bare so I'd bedline it myself
Oh and without the winch plate (not sure if it was added after or if it comes on it, can't tell) because I don't need that
Hell mine would be easy :waytogo:

If you don't know what he's talking about here's what they look like:
You must be registered for see images attach

A little blurry in this pic because I'm on my phone but you get the idea

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If they can produce ones for 05+ model years as well I'd be interested
That thing looks badass
All except for the stinger/light bar on the top, looks dumb with how sharp the bends are IMO so I'd want one without that
Also I'd want mine bare so I'd bedline it myself
Oh and without the winch plate (not sure if it was added after or if it comes on it, can't tell) because I don't need that
Hell mine would be easy :waytogo:

If you don't know what he's talking about here's what they look like:

A little blurry in this pic because I'm on my phone but you get the idea

You haven't see many Sundance then have you?
Didn't come with the stinger on it, nor did it come with a winch plate
Guy who built the very few there were didn't have a bender and just threw that on, Chris didn't like it but was stuck with it. Boiler came up with the winch plate for it.
HUGE PITA to mount since the guy really screwed up the mounting system on it, swore I would never install another one ( Sundance )

Another one of my pictures you're using:happy175::happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
for your viewing pleasure

I have a lot more if you wish
Personally that bumper is way too hard to make , takes way too many individual parts so cost is going to be very high

and just for S's & G's
My 79 F150, bought new, dealership couldn't sell it, got a great deal on it, after I built mine they sold 4 more. posting pic of it, just cause I can
38s, 4.88s, locked front and rear 351 modified with 4 speed

Last edited:

RATX5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for your viewing and just for S's & G's
My 79 F150, bought new, dealership couldn't sell it, got a great deal on it, after I built mine they sold 4 more. posting pic of it, just cause I can
38s, 4.88s, locked front and rear 351 modified with 4 speed

I know a dude with a 79' F150 with nearly that same configuration, but a flatbed. Not near as nice condition, but they are great looking trucks. How do they drive? Never been in one, but I'm hoping they at least feel a little less like you are driving a boat than the fifth series F150's. My dad had a 69' that he sold earlier this year and that thing was pretty much brand new head to toe and it felt sloppy as all hell.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know a dude with a 79' F150 with nearly that same configuration, but a flatbed. Not near as nice condition, but they are great looking trucks. How do they drive? Never been in one, but I'm hoping they at least feel a little less like you are driving a boat than the fifth series F150's. My dad had a 69' that he sold earlier this year and that thing was pretty much brand new head to toe and it felt sloppy as all hell.

I bought a 73/75/77 and 79 all brand new back in the day, the 73 and 75 were 2 wheel drives and didn't drive so great really, the 77 and 79 were 4x4s and I upgraded suspensions on them and they both drove great
Like to have a another 69, bought one of those a few years back for 500 bucks, little work, paint job and sold it for 6500. Regretted selling it

RATX5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 73/75/77 and 79 all brand new back in the day, the 73 and 75 were 2 wheel drives and didn't drive so great really, the 77 and 79 were 4x4s and I upgraded suspensions on them and they both drove great
Like to have a another 69, bought one of those a few years back for 500 bucks, little work, paint job and sold it for 6500. Regretted selling it

Yeah, they are nice trucks. My dad and his buddy had gone to look at a a 72' gmc that ended up being a massive hackjob and on the way back spotted his 69'. Older gentleman had it in his driveway, he had had the truck since new and had kept it up to date on everything. Changed the oil every 4k, etc. Only thing he had done to the truck was put a walmart smiley face sticker on the rear view mirror, and put matching chrome pin-up girls on the rear mud flaps. Can't remember the situation, but the truck even had a factory installed ac system that didn't come until a later year, with documentation to prove it. Truck only had a few specks of surface rust under the trim on the passenger side, and just needed the paint to be buffed in a few small areas. Aside from that, the truck was brand new. My dad asked the guy that owned it about 3 times over a period of 3 months, and once my dad had finally given up, the guy gave him a call a month later and told him we would sell it. My dad ended up buying it for 4.5k and selling it for 6.4k. My dad said he regretted selling the truck within a day, and I don't blame him. Only picture I can find right now is the one we took on the day he sold it.
You must be registered for see images

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF there is an 05 version and IF we can get the price down to 1000 then Im in

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I misread what you said, my bad
I thought you said "Any pics of the bumper?" But I guess I read too fast

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm interested, need the price under $1000 if possible. Does it have winch mount?

Sundance bumpers when they were being made were over 1000 and thats was 6-7 years ago
Any front bumper is going to be that or more if you try and replicate that bumper, lot of small pieces welded together

Rsb563

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That *****. Looks like it's time to buy a welder. Also son just got TIG certified this month Merry Christmas to both of us. Now to start on a design.

Pol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife took one of our CRD’s on an adventure over a snow bank, 15’ through the air, and into the ditch. She’s fine but the plastic bumper shattered. Besides that the Jeep was ok. She drove it out of the ditch to get groceries and apologized for breaking the bumper. Love that woman.

Looking to replace it with a steel bumper that fits the 05 Liberty. Any updates on the replica/projected price?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Highly doubt this will go anywhere beyond what it already has- nowhere
Your only steel bumper options are ARB (way too expensive for what it is IMO) or custom fab
But all of the custom ones I've seen are atrociously ugly and the ARB isn't much better so if you fab one you better do it right!
Maybe it's difficult to make a good looking bumper for KJs but you could be the first to have a nice one

Pol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning more and more to ARB all the time. Mostly because of the airbag testing. My jeep is a DD/family vehicle. I wish I could find one for less than $1200 though. Ouch!

I did find one for $450 once but alas it was in Texas and I'm in North Dakota.

I'll just keep watching the for sale forum I suppose.

Latest posts

Members online