Suggestions, please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the tires I have on the Libby are almost due for replacing and with all the city/highway driving I believe I'm going to drop back to the 235/70R16's that came on her and in a street tire. I'm considering buying a set of low cost/high quality wheels and putting mud/snow tires on for when needed.

So... any suggestions of a tire that's good in mud and snow and dependable wheels?

I know I've been a long time gone but appreciate the help.

dnm45227

Reaction score
revo's sound just like what you are looking for. i went w/the bfg at tko's myself.

there's always the general grabber at2's also. i almost went w/them over the bfg's.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the current tires are GY's and are worn out at 30K on a 50K warranty so I will be getting credit towards other GY's. I was just going to go GY street tires and do a spare set of deep snow/mud tires.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to rotate those tires if you want good mileage out of them. I put Nokian Vatiivas on my rig and they are as good as any I seen for what you want. They were $40-50 less than most also. I used 245/70s. They seem to be wearing extremely well and have a wear indicator built right into the tread's center section so I can monitor them without guess work. Quiet, didn't change gas mileage, speedo still fine, 3-4 sipes in every lug so they grip like they should stock. Very happy camper.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotated them about every 7K, but they are nobby mud-type tires and I put the 30K in about 1yr with most highway time. I know what street tires I'm getting I'm just wondering about the snow/mud tire suggestions.

So for anyone who has used the general grabber at2's how did they run in the mud and deep snow?

CRD4Liberty, did you have 235/70's before? Did you notice any loss in mpg when you moved up? I only had the stock 235's on for the trip from the dealer to the closest goodyear dealer to get credit on the stock ones. Can't remember if CRD's are as sensitive to rolling resistance though.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRDs come with 225/75s so I only changed OD of the tires by about 1/4 inch. Think the 235/70 are the same dia. as the 225/75. Have 7 Libs in the parking lot at work. 5 are gas rigs, they experienced about 1-1.5 mpg loss going to the BFG T/A and the Generals ATs in the same sizes 225/75 - 235/70 depending on what rig they have. Have been offroad with these rigs some, they didn't leave me behind anywhere. My lug spacing and depth are every bit as large as theirs with much more siping. In the snow my Finnish built tires carry a lot of technology from the Nokian very well respected winter tires and they are awesome. Rode in an Outback with the Nokian winter tires on and there is definitely a difference though, no wonder they have near cult followings in snow counrty.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Can't say enough good about the Revo's.....WELL worth the $$$. Been runnin mine about a year and a half now, and they look just as good as they did they day I got them installed.

Keeping them balanced and rotated every 6K at the latest seems to be the key.

Latest posts

Members online