Stupid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dapip

Reaction score
What is KJ??? I feel utterly ridiculous asking this but...had to be done!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Every Jeep gets a 2 letter production code at the factory. The Liberty is KJ, Cherokee's are XJ, newer Grand Cherokee'sare WJ, older grands I believe were ZJ, Newer wranglers are TJ, older ones were YJ's, and even OLDER ones were CJ's. I don't know what they stand for, I just know each one gets a production code.

Here's a neat site that has a list of most of the codes, and to what Jeep they went for. Two of them actually stand for something. CJ stands for Civilian Jeep, and DJ stands for Delievery Jeep (old postal Jeeps, that we still have around here believe it of not)

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/jeep/l/bljeepcodes.htm

p.s. No question is a stupid question around here. Unless it comes from me, or maybe silverlib2k2.....or maybe even grogiefrog....LOL!!!

Dapip

Reaction score
Thank You

Thanks for the reply. That was annoying me!!!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay Tim, then my question is, "Why does the new WK not end with a J? Hum...? (bump)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Okay Tim, then my question is, "Why does the new WK not end with a J? Hum...? (bump)

Cuz, believe it or not, they RAN OUT of *J codes!!! #-o

DJ doesn't stand for Delivery Jeep...

CJ stands for Civilian Jeep. None of the rest mean anything. They're....just....codes.

Dapip, if you look really closely around your Liberty, you're going to find that "KJ" code everywhere....literally. I'm still finding new places where "KJ" is listed months later. =D>

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
grogiefrog said:

Cuz, believe it or not, they RAN OUT of *J codes!!! #-o

No really, why the K? Is DC just messing with us? I'm surprised it's not a D or a C! Maybe the K is for Keep instead of Jeep? KEEP ME!! poke.gif

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actaully all Chrylser vehicles have codes, not just the Jeep. I am not sure if any other manufacturer does it. It makes it easier for techs to call into STARS the chrysler call center with questions and as far as shop service manuals etc. Instead of having a seperate maual for a Chrysler Concorde and Chrylser LHS and a Dodge Intrepid they have one and it is called the LH manual.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
If you're thinking that the "K" means "IFS", like everybody on JU thinks, then you're wrong. '07 Wrangler will be TK (or JK or whatever it is), and will have a solid front axle (As seen on the Jeep Gladiator)

All the *J codes have been used... with the exception of just a couple, which were probably used with internal concepts and such.

A KJ is a KJ whether 4x4 or not. =P~ Look at your third Brake Light. LJ was something from LONG ago. (Not the Wrangler Unlimited... that's supposed to be TJ-D... TJ-L is the military version.)

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ stands for Kia Jeep.

Oh wait this isn't JU sorry. #-o

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
other than various posts in JU about LJ and KJ , i have seen it somehwere on jeeps site i think...or a brochure...that it is in fact thr 4x4 Liberty is designated as LJ....

and I think other manufactureres do use letter codes for their cars..mostly based on the platform they are sitting on. (at least from what i read on car mags)
i think nissan has like FH or something like that on their altima/murano/quest...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
other than various posts in JU about LJ and KJ , i have seen it somehwere on jeeps site i think...or a brochure...that it is in fact thr 4x4 Liberty is designated as LJ....

and I think other manufactureres do use letter codes for their cars..mostly based on the platform they are sitting on. (at least from what i read on car mags)
i think nissan has like FH or something like that on their altima/murano/quest...

I think all manufacturers refer to vehicles by codes or prototype names. GM uses GMX *** (where *** stands for a number, like 900, 350, etc) for their trucks, names (Epsilon, Kappa,etc) for their cars.

DCX uses two letters, and a number if necessary. Neon is PL, Ram is DR (old Ram was BR), Stratus/Sebring is JA.

Ford...uhh, I don't know anything about them. They're weird, lol.

Nissan uses two letter codes, but I don't know of any. Hyundai and Kia do as well. Honda and Toyota I'm lost on.

BTW: K sits next to L on the keyboard. hehe. I smell typo, lol.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i doubt it.....if search works on JU, type in LJ.....
it's been mentioned on more than one occassion, so i dont think it couldve been a typo

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing (KJ/LJ) but apparently I mistaken, according to this chart:

<table border=1 cellpadding=2><tr BGCOLOR=CCCCDD><td>Name</td><td>Years made</td><td>Comments</td></tr><tr><td>BJ</td><td>Current</td><td>Beijing Jeeps - made under license to Daimler-Chrysler</td></tr><tr><td>CJ</td><td>1942-1986</td><td>4WD "Universal" Jeeps</td></tr><tr><td>DJ</td><td></td><td>Postal Jeep, 2WD, model numbering similar to the CJ series.</td></tr><tr><td>FC</td><td></td><td>This is a difficult one to explain, since it's so ungainly.</td></tr><tr><td>FJ</td><td></td><td>Wrong group, you've got a Toyota. </td></tr><tr><td>GP or GPW</td><td>WWII</td><td>WWII US Military designation for 80" Wheelbase, 1/4-ton 4wd reconnaissance car</td></tr><tr><td>KJ</td><td>2002-present</td><td>"Liberty" replacement for the XJ Cherokee</td></tr><tr><td>LJ</td><td>2004 1/2-present</td><td>Wrangler unlimited - Same basic layout as a TJ Wrangler, but with an additional 15" body length including 10" longer wheelbase. Bcause of the similarity, this model will be addressed as a TJ for the time being</td></tr><tr><td>MA</td><td>WWII</td><td>Original WWII Military Jeep, designed by Bantam Car Company</td></tr><tr><td>MB</td><td>WWII</td><td>Willys MB WWII Military Jeep</td></tr><tr><td>MJ</td><td>1984-1991</td><td>Uni-bodied Comanche pickup (closely related to XJ) - 113" and 119" wheelbase</td></tr><tr><td>SJ</td><td>early 60s to 1991</td><td>(full size) Wagoneer, pickups, also the Grand Wagoneer</td></tr><tr><td>TJ</td><td>1997-present</td><td>Wrangler - Round Headlights, Quadra-coil suspension. There was no 1996 model year Wrangler</td></tr><tr><td>VJ</td><td>late 40s?</td><td>Jeepster Commando</td></tr><tr><td>VJ or VK</td><td>future</td><td>"Ikon" Possible name for next-generation Wrangler</td></tr><tr><td>Willys II</td><td>future</td><td>Another prototype</td></tr><tr><td>WJ</td><td>1999-present</td><td>Grand Cherokee</td></tr><tr><td>XJ</td><td>1984-2001</td><td>Cherokee and Wagoneer (downsized models)</td></tr><tr><td>YJ</td><td>1987-1995</td><td>Wrangler - square headlights, leaf springs. There was no 1996 model year Wrangler</td></tr><tr><td>ZJ</td><td>1992-1998</td><td>Grand Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer</td></tr></table>

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So,where are these coded vehicles?

AJ
BJ - I understand why not to use this code
EJ
FJ
GJ
HJ
IJ
JJ - Not want to associate with Jimmy Walker?
MJ - Michael's Jordan and Jackson have rights to these initials?
NJ
OJ - Criminal intent or just too juicy?
PJ - Nobody wants to dive around in their PJ's do they?
QJ
RJ
SJ
UJ - Me Tokyojoe, not Jay
VJ - Beiing kind to the Japanes by not rubbing it in 60 yrs later?
ZJ

Latest posts

Members online